to whose dome the cover

G.Determinism

Persian
Greetings,

'He was lying on his back as hard as armor plate, and when he lifted his head a little, he saw his vaulted brown belly, sectioned by arch-shaped ribs, to whose dome the cover, about to slide off completely, could barely cling. His many legs, pitifully thin compared with the size of the rest of him, were waving helplessly before his eyes.'

This is a short excerpt from Kafka's Metamorphosis. I just can't figure out the structure and meaning of the part mentioned in the title.

Thanks

• PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    You are breaking up the clause wrongly: "... he saw his vaulted brown belly, sectioned by arch-shaped ribs, to whose dome the cover [of the bed], about to slide off completely, could barely cling." -> "... he saw his vaulted brown belly to whose [the belly's] dome the cover [of the bed] could barely cling."

G.Determinism

Persian
    Oh, what a relief! After reading it a hundred times, the penny finally dropped.:) Thanks joanvillafane. Can you confirm please the following is correct?
    'The cover which was about to slide off completely, could barely cling to the belly's dome.'
    I feel like I have solved a three variable equation.

Much obliged

< Previous | Next >