To withdraw would be a mistake (extraposition)

Yngwie

Sweden
Hi!

I would like to know if I can transform these sentences, whenever possible or necessary, by extraposition and / or rising and whether the transformation is obligatory or not:

a) That they will finish the project on time is supposed
b)To withdraw now would be a mistake

Thanks in advance

• Yngwie

Sweden
    This is what I think:

a)
    Original sentence: That they will finish the project on time is supposed
    Subject extraposition: It is supposed that they will finish the project on time
    Subject rising: They are supposed to finish the project on time

b)
    Original sentence: To withdraw now would be a mistake
    Object extraposition: It would be mistake to withdraw now

But I don't know if the subordinate clauses are subjects or objects and if the original sentences are ungrammatical or not.

Could you help me, please?

blancalaw

USA, English
    Yngwie said:
    This is what I think:

a)
    Original sentence: That they will finish the project on time is supposed
    Subject extraposition: It is supposed that they will finish the project on time
    Subject rising: They are supposed to finish the project on time

b)
    Original sentence: To withdraw now would be a mistake
    Object extraposition: It would be mistake to withdraw now

But I don't know if the subordinate clauses are subjects or objects and if the original sentences are ungrammatical or not.

Could you help me, please?
    The original sentances are grammatically correct, they just sound very poetic.
    The "every day talk" form of these sentences would be:
    It is supposed that they will finish the project on time.
    It would be mistake to withdraw now.

I'm not sure what rising is.

DaleC

These examples involve extraposition only. There is no RAISING involved.

There can be no sentence derived from the first sentence by raising because the word "suppose" has distinct modal (modality) meanings. In your example, "is supposed" means "se espera, se asume" (is expected, assumed, deduced). In "they are supposed to", "supposed" combines expectation with obligation. "They are supposed to X" is therefore NOT a paraphrase of, not propositionally equivalent to, "That they will X is supposed".

Yngwie said:
    Hi!

I would like to know if I can transform these sentences, whenever possible or necessary, by extraposition and / or rising raising and whether the transformation is obligatory or not:

a) That they will finish the project on time is supposed
    b)To withdraw now would be a mistake

Thanks in advance
    (a) Almost obligatory. This specific construction, an unextraposed subject that-clause, is not idiomatic -- it virtually only appears in discussions of grammar.

(b) This being an infinitive phrase, the answer is different. The normal usage is still to extrapose, but failure to extrapose is common. But there is usually a discourse pragmatic difference between the two possibilities.

< Previous | Next >