To work from/in the cafeteria

< Previous | Next >

Faisal_Ahmad

India - English
Which of the following sentences conveys "my preference for a non-official setup when it comes to working"?

1. I like to work from the cafeteria as I feel more relaxed there.
2. I like to work in the cafeteria as I feel more relaxed there.

Do you have better alternatives to convey the same message?

Thanks in advance!

• Copyright

American English
    #2 only. You don't "work from the cafeteria" in the same way that you "work from home." If I were working at Starbucks, I would say, "I like to work at Starbucks."

Faisal_Ahmad

India - English
    working at Starbucks
    "Working at Starbucks" also suggests "being an employee of Starbucks". How can I disassociate my phrase from this connotation?

My idea is: "Though employees are supposed to work while staying on company floors, I prefer going to the company cafeteria, be seated there, and then work. I am able to concentrate well while I am sitting in a cafeteria."

Last edited:

Copyright

American English
    Presumably you're talking to someone who knows you don't work at Starbucks. "I like to work at Starbucks as I feel more relaxed there." Plus, I doubt if any Starbucks employee says that he likes working there because he feels more relaxed there (than where?).

Last edited:

e2efour

UK English
    To work from the cafeteria to me means that you use the cafeteria as your base, i.e. spend most of your time working there.
    To work in the cafeteria says what it says.

I don't see a big difference between the two.

Myridon

English - US
    "Working at Starbucks" also suggests "being an employee of Starbucks". How can I disassociate my phrase from this connotation?
    If the speaker knows that you don't make coffee or clean tables for a living, they won't be confused.
    I like to plug in my laptop and do some work at Starbucks.

< Previous | Next >