To you, your family, loved one, and your close friends, I wish all of you a Happy New Year

< Previous | Next >

jas5sk

English - Jamaican & Spanish
对于你,您家庭,爱人,你们好朋友,我祝大家一个新年快乐。我希望为你除了Western新年以外,还希望恭喜发财。

I was trying to say, "To you, your family, loved one, and your close friends, I wish all of you a Happy New Year. In addition to a Happy (Western) New Year, I also wish you a great Spring Festival."

However, my Mandarin Chinese is still awful and I'm having trouble forming this phrase correctly.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

• cnoabt

Touch it up!

的亲朋好友新年快乐,恭喜发财!
    (Honorific addressing applied to business partners, the elders, customers, or your supervisors, etc.)

的亲朋好友新年快乐,恭喜发财!
    (Ordinary addressing applied to ordinary friends, close friends, your peers, your subordinates, etc.)

Generally, we Chinese refer to 春节 as lunar new year day.

coconutpalm

Chinese,China
    Your translation is great, cnoabt, but I have to differ on your explanation of 春节.
    My idea of 春节 is the Spring Festival, which refers to a certain period of time, traditioanally, from the Lunar New Year Eve除夕夜(or, from 23/24th of the 12th lunar month) to Lantern Festival元宵.

cnoabt

Your translation is great, cnoabt, but I have to differ on your explanation of 春节.
    My idea of 春节 is the Spring Festival, which refers to a certain period of time, traditioanally, from the Lunar New Year Eve除夕夜(or, from 23/24th of the 12th lunar month) to Lantern Festival元宵.
    春节
    chūnjié
    〖theSpringFestival〗∶农历正月初一,是我国的传统盛大节日
    Read this from Chinese dictionary.

除夕:is the last day of a year, the last day of the winter according to lunar calendar.

coconutpalm

Chinese,China
    I'm sorry I made a mistake.
    baidu: 古代的春节叫“元日”、“元旦”、“新年”。辛亥革命后,才将农历正月初一正式定名为春节。
    So, officially, you are right.

However, I found this on Xinhua Dictionary
    春节 :
    即夏历正月初一。中国汉族及有些少数民族的传统节日。节前家家户户打扫房屋,置办年货,贴春联,挂年画等。除夕夜,要守岁。节日期间,人们穿新衣,外出拜年。此外,还开展舞狮子、耍龙灯、踩高跷、逛花市、赏冰灯等活动。​
    After affirming the official definition, this definition proceeds to say we do such, such and such activities during this festival, yet we simply don't do them in one day. I think the seemingly errornous definition results from the fact that in ordinary life, 春节 is not just ONE single day. Our common sense and practice backs me here, unless, of course, in your neck of wood, 拜年、过元宵etc. are not considered being included in the 春节acitivities.
    Besides, I think the English word of "festival" already denotes a longer period, and the translation is proper.

< Previous | Next >