To zdjęcie jest pamiątką z naszych wakacji.

wolfbm1

Polish
Witam.
Chcę przetłumaczyć na angielski zdanie: To zdjęcie jest pamiątką z naszych wakacji.
Moja próba: This photo is a souvenir of our holiday.
Wydaje mi się, że to tłumaczenie jest dobre.

• RomanBoukreev

Russian
    This photo had been caught on the holiday/ vacation (use catch verb or take for photo).
    Holyday jest brytyjskim angielskim, vacation jest amerykańskim angielskim.
    Wybierz najbardziej potrzebną opcję w zależności od języka.

Last edited:

anthox

English - Northeast US
    I have never in my life heard anyone say, "I caught a photo" or "This photo had been caught." Sounds completely unnatural. You might hear someone say a photo had been "captured," if it was taken candidly, or depicted something unusual or hard to photograph: "I managed to capture an amazing photo of the sunset over the sea."

Almost always, the default verb for taking a picture is simply "to take": "I took this photo on holiday/on vacation."

In the original example, I would say, "This photo is a memento of our holiday (BR) / vacation (AM)."

wolfbm1

Polish
    The photo was taken during my friend's holiday in Turkey. It showed my friend, his wife and their children. The photo was a memento of their holiday in Turkey.
    I wonder if the word souvenir could be used in British English, in that context.
    The PWN-Oxford Polish-English dictionary says that it is possible to use the preposition 'from.'
    How about; "The photo was a memento from their holiday in Turkey."

Last edited:

Lorenc

Italian
    I wonder if the word souvenir could be used in British English, in that context.
    You'd better ask on the English-only forum, but I'd say 'no, not really'. A souvenir is a physical object you buy on holiday; a fridge magnet or a statuette may be souvenirs, at a stretch a postcard may be a souvenir, but IMO not a picture you took yourself, all the more so if it's in electronic form. 'Memento' is a much better option because it doesn't have the same implication of having paid for the thing, but I think this word is also more appropriate for a physical object. To be honest in many contexts I'd just say something alone the lines of 'This is a picture from our holidays (in France, in Warsaw).'

< Previous | Next >