toilet duck

< Previous | Next >

Violette2

English-American
What is the meaning of "toilet duck," as heard in British sitcoms? It refers to some part of the toilet but is not to be found in an American-English dictionary. It is especially interesting to us as my husband's family referred to using the toilet when speaking to toddlers as "going duck-duck."

• Loob

English UK
    Hello Violette - welcome to the forums!

The only "toilet duck" I know is a brand of toilet cleaner....

For more, see this Wiki article.

Further thought: do you have any more context and background? We might be able to come up with some alternative explanations:D.

Last edited:

koniecswiata

Am English
    I would also associate it with a toilet cleaner. In Spanish, I know of one "pato purific"--a toilet duck. It's a thing you stick in the toilet bowl, and everytime you flush a blue liquid adds to the water.

Violette2

English-American
    The "toilet duck" reference was in the British sitcom "One Foot in the Grave." They had called a plumber to fix the toilet, and he said they needed a toilet duck.

pops91710

English, AE
    What is the meaning of "toilet duck," as heard in British sitcoms? It refers to some part of the toilet but is not to be found in an American-English dictionary. It is especially interesting to us as my husband's family referred to using the toilet when speaking to toddlers as "going duck-duck."
    This is too funny! When I was but a wee lad, my parents had a trainer that fit inside of the toilet seat rim and it had a little duckhead on the front for the guard, (for boys, you see). So when I had to go, I had to quack-quack. (Now, we are talking late 40's!) I doubt that is the reason the Brits say toilet duck, however.

< Previous | Next >