told that the delegation has / had left the city

< Previous | Next >

Иван

I am wondering if the meaning of these 2 sentences are correct.

I was told that the delegation has left the city (as a result)
I was told that the delegation had left the city yesterday. (priority)

• BLUEGLAZE

English - USA
    That is incorrect unless you want to say, 'the delegation was informed (told) to leave the city'. "Informed" wouldn't really work in such an instance.
    From your examples I understand that information came to me about the delegation.
    In my example, I am passing on this information to a third party.
    I am told (perhaps - I have just been told) that...

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    I am afraid I must disagree with Blue Glaze. Both sentences are grammatical and make sense.

The difference is that the first one [has left the city] means that the delegation is currently not in the city.

The meaning of the second one will depend on the context. It does tell us that the delegation left the city before you received your second report. It doesn't preclude the possibility that they have returned (or that the report was wrong).

But if that correct to say The delegation was informed to have left the city?
    This a new construction, and would need its own thread. If you ask about it, please explain, using different words, what you want to say.

Иван

I am afraid I must disagree with Blue Glaze. Both sentences are grammatical and make sense.

The difference is that the first one [has left the city] means that the delegation is currently not in the city.

The meaning of the second one will depend on the context. It does tell us that the delegation left the city before you received your second report. It doesn't preclude the possibility that they have returned (or that the report was wrong).
    I was told that he has just done it. The same pattern?

BLUEGLAZE

English - USA
    Once you say I was told, then you are reporting speech. The proper way to do that is the use of the past perfect.
    'I was told' happened (a moment ago, an hour ago - doesn't matter). Whatever I was told happened before me being told about it,
    so what I report is 'had left the city'.

< Previous | Next >