tolerant or good-tempered

< Previous | Next >

gangstergirl

Vietnamese
This passage tells about the advantages and the disadvantages of staying at home. :)

Much depends on how a family gets on. Do your parents like your friends? You may love your family - but do you like them? Are you prepared to be (1) __________ when your parents ask where you are going in the evening and what time you expect to be back?

A. tolerant
B. hostile
C. indifferent
D. good-tempered

Well I chose D, But the key is A.

According to OALD8.
good-tempered: cheerful and not easily made angry.
tolerant: able to accept what other people say or do even if you do not agree with it.

I saw D was quite ok. Why not D, guys? :( Please help me out. Thanks!

• dreamlike

Polish
    Neither of those is perfect here, if you ask me, but out of the two, I'd go for tolerant, too. Think of it this way: Can you be tolerent of your parents' overprotectiveness?

gangstergirl

Vietnamese
    Neither of those is perfect here, if you ask me, but out of the two, I'd go for tolerant, too. Think of it this way: Can you be tolerent of your parents' overprotectiveness?
    Hi. :)

Thank for your reply :) But sorry I still don't get it. :( I can't see any difference between 'tolerant' and 'good-temped' in both this context and your example you gave. :( Sorry.

Istarion

British English
    Hi Gangstergirl,
    I think maybe dreamlike's point is that you can "tolerate something", or "be tolerant of something". You can't be "good-tempered of something" :cross: - being good-tempered is a state which you are in. For me "tolerant" works better in your sentence because it shows that you are tolerating your parents' questions. The fact that you are good-tempered might cause you to be tolerant. It sounds slightly odd to ask if someone is prepared to be good-tempered, because being good-tempered is usually a character trait and not a choice.
    -I

Sparky Malarky

English - US
    I kind of disagree. Tolerant works quite well in the sentence, but I think good-tempered works well enough to make this a tricky question. I see Dreamlike and Istarion's points, but I could also argue that if you are tolerant you won't have a problem with your parents asking you questions. But if you find their questioning annoying, you will have to work at remaining good-tempered. The sentence asks "Are you prepared to be ...?" This suggests to me that you have to work at it.

"Tolerant" is certainly correct here, but I think "good-temepered" works as well. I hope you got at least half credit, Gangstergirl!

dreamlike

Polish
    I see it a bit differently, although I don't know if I'm making much sense. If one is good-tempered, it's a trait of the character that is not likely to change depending on the situation -- whereas there are some things we can be tolerant of, and some that we can't.

(It was only after I'd submitted my post that I noticed Isatorion's point, which is very similar to mine :))

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >