Tolerate vs forgive

< Previous | Next >

Serious dude

Arabic
What is the difference between tolerate and forgive?

1.I can tolerate insulting me, but I can't tolerate insulting my mother.
2.I can forgive you for insulting me, but I can't forgive you for insulting my mother.

• Barque

Banned
    Tamil
    I assume you've looked the words up in the dictionary. Is there something in the definitions that puzzles you?

Florentia52

Modwoman in the attic
    English - United States
    The two words do not mean the same thing, Serious dude. Please give us some context so we can help you decide which verb is best in the situation you have in mind.

Florentia52

Modwoman in the attic
    English - United States
    Thank you, I've read it. You've given us two grammatically correct sentences. We can't help you decide which verb best suits the situation in which you would use the sentence if you don't tell us something about the situation. What are you trying to convey?

Serious dude

Arabic
    I want to understand the difference between these two words. Could you tell me how the first example differs from the second?

Serious dude

Arabic
    2.I can forgive you for insulting me, but I can't forgive you for insulting my mother.

The background: Someone started insulting me because I disagreed with him on a particular thing, and then he started insulting my mother, so I replied:

Which one can be applied here? and why?

Florentia52

Modwoman in the attic
    English - United States
    Either one may be applicable.

Can you tell us what you feel towards the person who insulted you and your mother? Do you pardon him and not feel resentment towards him (WR dictionary, "forgive"), or are you willing to endure (put up with) the comments about yourself but not those about your mother? (WR dictionary, "tolerate")?

Barque

Banned
    Tamil
    They can both be used in that context. But they have different meanings.

Have you looked at the dictionary definitions?

If not, please do.
    If you have, but still don't know the difference, there must be something in the definitions that you don't understand. What is that?

Cross-posted.

Serious dude

Arabic
    So, I came with the conclusion that tolerate means allow something to happen or to exist even you disagree with it and you dislike it, but forgive means to forgive someone for something bad or offensive they have done, so I think that examples 2 (I can forgive you for insulting me, but I can't forgive you for insulting my mother.) is more formal because there was something offensive done to me, not something that I just dislike or disagree. Thanks for your efforts.

JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    I still don't think you have read the definitions to "grant a pardon or stop feeling resentment" is quite different from "enduring":eek:

:
    forgive
    1. to grant pardon for (an offense); absolve: [~ + object]to forgive a sin.[no object]Forgive and go forward.
    2. to grant pardon to (a person): [~ + object]forgave him and told him to repent.[~ + object + object]forgave him his sins.
    3. to cease to feel resentment against:[~ + object]to forgive one's enemies.
    tolerate
    1. to allow (something that one does not like) to exist without prohibiting it or preventing it.
    2. to endure; put up with:I cannot tolerate incompetence.

< Previous | Next >