tomorrow never comes

hegeleva

Italian
Hi! What does the expression "tomorrow never comes" mean?
I found that it derives from a song, but maybe it expresses the same meaning of the italian "cogli l'attimo" or "vivi il presente".
The sentence where I found it is:

You reason on the strenght of "tomorrow never comes".

Thank you all!
Hegeleva

• legnoduro

United States, English
    The full proverb, as I remember hearing it is "live for today for tomorrow never comes". I think it conveys the concept of appreciating the moment for the future is unknown. Perhaps something like "meglio un uovo oggi che una gallina domani."

Legnoduro

prowlerxpla

Italy Italian
    If I remember well the proverb is "vivi come se dovessi morire domani e ama come se dovessi vivere per sempre" that should be "live as if you ought to die tomorrow and love as if you ought to live forever"

SoCalMezzo

English - American
    To me, "tomorrow never comes" means, poetically, that tomorrow doesn't really exist, in a sense...we can only be present in today.

It can also mean, like others have said, that we can die any minute, or the world could end...such as in "if tomorrow never comes...".

They both amount to about the same thing.

In the context of "You reason on the strength of tomorrow never comes..." I would say that it implies that you are able to stick with your argument because you will never be proved "wrong", because the "proof" can be continually put into the future. In other words, I can argue that "Someday he will leave her...", and as long as they're both living, I can't be proved wrong, because there's always tomorrow. And even if one of the two did perish, I could still say that he would have left her! :)

neuromatico

English (Canadian)
    If I remember well the proverb is "vivi come se dovessi morire domani e ama come se dovessi vivere per sempre" that should be "live as if you could die tomorrow and love as if you could live forever"
    That's a beautiful proverb. I hope you don't mind that I've corrected your English translation.

< Previous | Next >