"Tomorrow's city" or "City of tomorrow"

Discussion in 'English Only' started by sunshine456, Apr 20, 2017 at 1:34 PM.

1. sunshine456 Member

French - Canada
    Could you tell me which one you would use and why? If it's just how it sounds to you it's ok. I hesitate between "tomorrow's city" and "the city of tomorrow". Context: people want to work together to change a city for the future.

Choices:

1- We are committed to building together tomorrow's city.

2- We are committed to building together the city of tomorrow.

Thanks!

2. Copyright

Copyright Senior Member

Penang
    American English
    Together, we are committed to building the city of tomorrow.

"City of tomorrow" sounds slightly cliched and over the top, but it still works better here than "tomorrow's city," which is rather flat and you wonder for a second what it really means.

I put "together" at the beginning because you have the problem of "building together" sounding like "putting together," rather than "building in cooperation with you."

3. sunshine456 Member

French - Canada
    Thanks for your reply. I also thought that "city of tomorrow" is better but wasn't sure since English is not my native language. Also, "tomorrow's world" seems better to me than "world of tomorrow" so it confuses me that it's the other way around. But then again, I may be wrong since English is not my native language.

I agree that "together" at the beginning is better. Thanks!

4. Copyright

Copyright Senior Member

Penang
    American English
    "City of tomorrow" has become sort of a set phrase, while "World of tomorrow," not so much ... but I wouldn't know which sounded better until I had some context.

5. Keith Bradford

Keith Bradford Senior Member

Brittany, NW France
    English (Midlands UK)
    According to Google Ngram Viewer, the "city of tomorrow" is ten times more used than "tomorrow's city", but both are good.

6. sunshine456 Member

French - Canada
    Thanks again for your reply. I don't have a context with "tomorrow's world" since it's just an example on top of my head remembering what I heard in the past. It sounds like set phrases or what is most commonly used.

7. sunshine456 Member

French - Canada
    Thanks for your reply. I had never heard of Google Ngram Viewer before. That's really interesting! Of course, it probably don't solve all problems since there are lots of errors on the Internet.

8. kentix Senior Member

English - U.S.
    I'm uncertain if you are talking about one specific city or about the general concept of cities in the future. The answer to that question would make a big difference on what you would or should say.

9. Keith Bradford

Keith Bradford Senior Member

Brittany, NW France
    English (Midlands UK)
    These counts are taken from books or other named genres. There are dangers, the main one being ill-formulated questions, but notes to the Ngrams give guidance.

10. sunshine456 Member

French - Canada
    Thanks for the additional information. I'll use it a few times to find out how it works.

11. sunshine456 Member

French - Canada
    Hello! I am talking about one specific city.

12. kentix Senior Member

English - U.S.
    The reason I asked that is that "the city of tomorrow" (sometimes capitalized) has a pre-existing meaning at times. It doesn't refer to a specific or real city but a hypothetical, ideal city in the future as pictured by those interested in the future and its social and technological development. It's kind of a catchphrase.

If you are talking about a specific, real city then you want to avoid confusion.

We are committed to building our city together for a better future.

You avoid use of tomorrow's city and city of tomorrow but the point comes across. I'm not saying you can't use tomorrow, and if you need to use it you should, but just be careful you aren't inadvertently saying something you don't realize.

13. sunshine456 Member

French - Canada
    Thanks for this input. I see what you mean. I never thought of that since I'm actually talking about a real city. But I think the context makes it very clear, therefore I could use "city of tomorrow".

Thanks everyone for your help. I really appreciate it. :)