too awesome to be true

T.D

mandarin
Hi all,

I saw this sentence in a game forum.
One guy was making a sarcastic statement saying he was beating the game with a level 2 million character because the game is too difficult. Given the maximum level of the game is actually 70, one reply said 'lol, This is too awesome to be true'

I am wondering what is does this sentence imply?

Is it
1) it will be awesome if it is true (wishing it is true)
or
2) it is too awesome so it cannot be true (not believing or denying what the other guy says)

Any help is appreciated

• lingobingo

English - England
    It’s a variation of “too good to be true”, meaning: so great or impressive as to be difficult to believe.

Thomas Tompion

English - England
    When people talk and write as inaccurately as this it can be very hard to know what they mean.

I'd take it to mean that it was too far-fetched to be believable.

The word 'awesome' is used very loosely by many people, particularly the very young, and, perhaps, contributors to game forums.

kentix

English - U.S.
    The idea is awesome, it would be very fun to have a character that powerful, but no game would allow that. Games always make it more difficult.

T.D

mandarin
    Thanks all.

So when someone says this 'too xxx to be true' sentence, what is the tone behind? is it positive or negative?
    Like ' I love your idea, but too bad it cannot be true' ? or is it 'your idea is stupid' ? or it could be both depending on the context?

Thomas Tompion

English - England
    Thanks all.

So when someone says this 'too xxx to be true' sentence, what is the tone behind? is it positive or negative?
    Like ' I love your idea, but too bad it cannot be true' ? or is it 'your idea is stupid' ? or it could be both depending on the context?
    Too much depends on context and on tone of voice for a simple answer to the first two questions.

lingobingo

English - England
    I would say it’s possible to use it positively, but in practice its use is nearly always negative — as in the classic piece of advice: If it seems too good to be true, it almost certainly is [untrue]!

kentix

English - U.S.
    In this particular case, I think it's this one:

I love your idea, but too bad it cannot be true.

< Previous | Next >