too few / too little

Carrai

Spanish
Hi,
I'd like to know if too few or too little are correct expressions, I'm used to see: too much or too many, but not those ones. For instance:

Children generally eat too few vegetables / and, would it be correct to say: so few vegetables ? Do both expressions have the same meaning?

Parents generally do too little efforts

• Thomas1

polszczyzna warszawska
    Yes, they are correct.
    'too few' is used with countable nouns, e.g.: too few vegetables/efforts/people/etc.
    'too little' is used with uncountable nouns, e.g.: too little meat/effort/information/etc.

'so few vegetables' is possible and correct, but its meaning is not the same. It's more like 'very few vegetables'.

Welcome to the forums, Carrai. :)

Carrai

Spanish
    Yes, they are correct.
    'too few' is used with countable nouns, e.g.: too few vegetables/efforts/people/etc.
    'too little' is used with uncountable nouns, e.g.: too little meat/effort/information/etc.

'so few vegetables' is possible and correct, but its meaning is not the same. It's more like 'very few vegetables'.

Welcome to the forums, Carrai. :)

mylittle_e

Chinese
    Hi,

I still want to say it the other way around:
    Children generally don't eat enough vegetables.

But "too little" sounds fine to my ear:
    Parents generally do too little efforts

Hildy1

English - US and Canada
    I still want to say it the other way around:
    Children generally don't eat enough vegetables.
    This is good. It covers not only the number of different vegetables, but also the amount and the frequency of eating them.

lingobingo

English - England
    :thumbsup: It’s fine grammatically. In practice, though, most people would probably express it as “three of us is not enough”.

< Previous | Next >