Too hot to trot

twitter

Korean - South Korea
"Too hot to trot"
I ran across this phrase with explanation in one of my classes quite a while ago, but I forgot the meaning soon. What comes into my mind at the moment is an image of someone who is "so attractive that it might be presumed that they should be driven rather than walk by themselves". I went to ask my Canadian, and American friends about this. My American friend said it is another word for "arrogant", while the Canadian kept silent, looking a bit embarrased.

1) Could you define the word?
2) Could this by any chance mean something sexual as the word "lascivious" is?
3) Does this word connote any sense of approval or disapproval?
4) Have you ever heard people say this?
5) Do you actively say this yourself, or would you? If not, what would you say instead?
6) What part of the world do you live in and what variety of English do you speak?

Thanks a million!

• Miss Julie

English-U.S.
    1. "Hot to trot" (without "too") means ready and willing/eager to have sex.
    2. It has usually been used in a sexual context, so when you add "too" it means "lascivious"...in this case, too eager to have sex. (Whatever that means!)
    3. Usually disapproval; it's almost always directed toward a woman. Here's where sexism comes in; the implication is it's OK for men to have a lot of sex, but not women.
    4. Yes...in the 1970s. :D There was even a famous song by The Commodores called "Too Hot Ta Trot," also from the 1970s.
    5. I wouldn't say it now; to me, it's outdated. I'd probably say "promiscuous" (non-pejorative) or "slutty" (pejorative). Or, "She/he sleeps around."
    6. Midwestern U.S., American English

Last edited:

kaytpea

English - USA
    While it might sometimes, it doesn't ALWAYS have to have a sexual meaning. Saying someone is 'hot to trot' could also imply that they are anxious to move ahead, start going, or continue with something.

Miss Julie

English-U.S.
    While it might sometimes, it doesn't ALWAYS have to have a sexual meaning. Saying someone is 'hot to trot' could also imply that they are anxious to move ahead, start going, or continue with something.
    It usually has a sexual meaning, at least in the United States. I have never heard it used in the benign context you describe.

sdgraham

USA English
    It usually has a sexual meaning, at least in the United States. I have never heard it used in the benign context you describe.
    My experience, including the first 15 years of my life spent in Chicago, is that of kaytpea.

For example, see this page.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >