too on the nose

• entangledbank

English - South-East England
    Where did you see or hear this? We need an example sentence and context, because 'on the nose' can mean several different things. One is "exactly right", but that doesn't make much sense with 'too', does it? Another meaning is "bad-smelling" - and 'too' would make more sense with that.

ewie

English English
    Where did you see or hear this? We need an example sentence and context, because 'on the nose' can mean several different things. One is "exactly right", but that doesn't make much sense with 'too', does it? Another meaning is "bad-smelling" - and 'too' would make more sense with that.
    :thumbsup:
    Moderator note: Please wait for Madword to provide some ~ any ~ context.

Blue Arrow

Persian-iran
    Hi, guys . what " too on the nose " means here?!

" So apparently Superman doesn't want us to think of him as American anymore. And really, why would we? Aside from the red and blue costume And, I don't know, the fact that he has
    one-third of the USA's initials on his chest. I assume the only reason he's not wearing the declaration of independence as a cape is He thinks it's too on-the-nose. "

does it mean "unintelligible"?!

Miss Julie

English-U.S.
    Hi, guys . what " too on the nose " means here?!

" So apparently Superman doesn't want us to think of him as American anymore. And really, why would we? Aside from the red and blue costume And, I don't know, the fact that he has
    one-third of the USA's initials on his chest. I assume the only reason he's not wearing the declaration of independence as a cape is He thinks it's too on-the-nose. "

does it mean "unintelligible"?!

I think it means too obvious in this context.

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    He already is wearing the colors associated with the US flag and the initial S (from USA) on his chest. The author is ironically suggesting that Superman could make his identification with the United States clearer by wearing the Declaration of Independence, but he doesn't because that would be making the connection too explicit -- too obvious, as Miss Julie says.

Blue Arrow

Persian-iran
    He already is wearing the colors associated with the US flag and the initial S (from USA) on his chest. The author is ironically suggesting that Superman could make his identification with the United States clearer by wearing the Declaration of Independence, but he doesn't because that would be making the connection too explicit -- too obvious, as Miss Julie says.
    Thanks both of you. I get it now. :thumbsup:

Loob

English UK
    Apologies, Mattias - I probably formulated my question incorrectly:oops:.

The question I'm interested in is: does "on the nose" often mean "explicit" in AmE?

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    It's an extension of this meaning from our dictionary's entry on nose:

on the nose:
    precisely;
    exactly:
    We arrived at 3 o'clock on the nose.

Oxford Dictionaries.com describes this meaning as "informal, chiefly North American:"

I wouldn't have used it in the sentence under discussion, but I don't find it difficult to understand the author's intended meaning.

SDeming

English
    It's an extension of this meaning from our dictionary's entry on nose:

on the nose:
    precisely;
    exactly:
    We arrived at 3 o'clock on the nose.

Oxford Dictionaries.com describes this meaning as "informal, chiefly North American:"

I wouldn't have used it in the sentence under discussion, but I don't find it difficult to understand the author's intended meaning.
    In script or literature we use this phrase to mean unsubtle. It would be better if it wasn't so on the nose.