too rich for him

user_gary

Banned
India - Hindi
At first the tiger cub, who was named Timothy by Grandfather, was brought up entirely on milk given to him in a feeding-bottle by our cook, Mahmoud. But the milk proved too rich for him, and he was put on a diet of raw mutton and cod liver oil, to be followed later by a more tempting diet of pigeons and rabbits

I think, too rich for him = too rich for tiger cub.

But I can't understand this phrase.

Could anyone explain me? (particularly the word `rich' confused me). Why here `rich' is used?

• liliput

U.K. English
    I think "rich" in this context means that the milk was to calorific - contained too much fat and sugar, and the tiger's digestive system couldn't deal with it.
    "Rich" is often used this way with food - "The dessert was delicious, but it was a bit rich for me, I couldn't eat very much."

nichec

Chinese(Taiwan)
    At first the tiger cub, who was named Timothy by Grandfather, was brought up entirely on milk given to him in a feeding-bottle by our cook, Mahmoud. But the milk proved too rich for him, and he was put on a diet of raw mutton and cod liver oil, to be followed later by a more tempting diet of pigeons and rabbits

I think, too rich for him = too rich for tiger cub.

But I can't understand this phrase.

Could anyone explain me? (particularly the word `rich' confused me). Why here `rich' is used?

The kind of food that's too rich for you makes you fat. They provide more than what your body really needs.

"To be put on a diet" means to be forced to lose weight by eating less or healthier.

By the way, it's "explain to me", not "explain me", that's for the French.

user_gary

Banned
    India - Hindi
    Thank you friend.

Also, I have highlgihted the word `put on' because I don't know its meaning.

Please explain it.
    Because as far as I know, put on a diet = become fat.

But this does not fit in my context.

liliput

U.K. English
    Thank you friend.

Also, I have highlgihted the word `put on' because I don't know its meaning.

Please explain it.
    Because as far as I know, put on a diet = become fat.

But this does not fit in my context.

The tiger is "on a diet" - it's food intake is carefully monitored and controlled.
    It was "put" on a diet by it's keepers.