Toodley pip

< Previous | Next >

susantash

Español de Uruguay
Hi there!
This expression's got me really puzzled. I've really no idea as to what it could mean. I couldn't find anything in the dictionary either.
It appears in a cartoon movie where two geese are teaching a cat how to swim.

Context:

A: You really did quite well for a beginner.
B: Keep practicing!
A: And toodley pip.

Any help you can give is most welcome!
Thanks a lot!

• panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    toodle-oo, pip-pip, toodle-pip ...
    The following examples demonstrate the use, the period, and the appropriate context, rather well:
    1920 P. G. WODEHOUSE Damsel in Distress x. 129 ‘Well, it's worth trying,’ said Reggie. ‘I'll give it a whirl. Toodleoo!’ ‘Good-bye.’ ‘Pip-pip!’ Reggie withdrew.
    1931 E. F. BENSON Mapp & Lucia iii. 56 Mr. Woolgar..did not say ‘So long’ or ‘Pip-pip’.

MissFit

The movie is Walt Disney's Aristocats, isn't it? It must be a challenge for a non-native English speaker to make out all those accents. Eva Gabor, who is Hungarian, is the voice of a Parisian cat who is speaking English with a (supposedly) French accent. The other voices are a interesting assortment of Brits and Americans from various regions.

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    Those threads suggest that this is more current usage than I had thought.

I certainly wouldn't say its use was snobbish as suggested in one thread, though the examples I quoted were from upper-class Wodehouse and very class-aware Mapp and Lucia.
    Oops - I checked again - yes, it could be used when people are trying to act snobbish. That's not the same thing :)

< Previous | Next >