took her to the cinema for a film

< Previous | Next >

Peter_Gabriel

Polish
Dear all,

I have a question to all of you.
I am not sure if the rest of the underlined sentence is natural.

" I took her to the cinema for a film."

• Packard

USA, English
    In American English you would take her to a "movie theater" to see [name of film].

Or "I took her to the movie theater to watch a film."

The definite article is usually used despite the fact that it is not referring to a specific movie theater. The same applies to theatrical productions.

I took her to the theater to see The Lion King.

kentix

English - U.S.
    In real life, you don't generally need to name the place.

"I took her to see a movie."
    "I took her to see The Addams Family.

Anyone hearing those sentences will know where you took her. You'll only need to say more if the circumstances are unusual.

"I took her to see a movie in Jackson Park." They show movies outdoors in the summer there where you can sit on the grass (usually on blankets) and watch.

The original is kind of like saying, "I went to a shoe store to buy some shoes." We would probably just say, "I went shopping for shoes."

Last edited:

Peter_Gabriel

Polish
    In real life, you don't generally need to name the place.

"I took her to see a movie."
    "I took her to see The Addams Family.

Anyone hearing those sentences will know where you took her. You'll only need to say more if the circumstances are unusual.

"I took her to see a movie in Jackson Park." They show movies outdoors in the summer there where you can sit on the grass (usually on blankets) and watch.

The original is kind of like saying, "I went to a shoe store to buy some shoes." We would probably just say, "I went shopping for shoes."
    many thanks!

Peter_Gabriel

Polish
    In American English you would take her to a "movie theater" to see [name of film].

Or "I took her to the movie theater to watch a film."

The definite article is usually used despite the fact that it is not referring to a specific movie theater. The same applies to theatrical productions.

I took her to the theater to see The Lion King.
    many thanks!!!

< Previous | Next >