took place weekly during one hour

< Previous | Next >

Olive Flower

Spanish- Colombia
Hello everybody!

I'd like to know if this sentence is grammatically correct or if there is a better way to express that idea:

This is the sentence:

"The classes took place weekly during one hour"

Thank you for your time and answer.

Rgds

• Florentia52

Modwoman in the attic
    English - United States
    Welcome to the forum, Olive Flower!

Please tell us which part of the sentence you think might be a problem. We're happy to discuss specific questions about a word or phrase. Also, please explain the situation in which you would use the sentence. What do you want it to mean?

Olive Flower

Spanish- Colombia
    We need a specific question in this forum, Olive. Global re-write requests are off limits.
    Welcome to the forum, Olive Flower!

Please tell us which part of the sentence you think might be a problem. We're happy to discuss specific questions about a word or phrase. Also, please explain the situation in which you would use the sentence. What do you want it to mean?
    Thank you !! I am writing about my practicum in a school and I want to find the better way to express that the class that I conducted was made once a week during just one hour.
    Taking into account Bennymix's answer, I know now that the sentence:"The classes took place weekly during one hour" is awkward. So, I'd like to know if it is better to write "The class was made during just one hour every week" or if it is better to write "The class took one hour weekly or probably if it is more proper to write "The class was developed once a week during one hour ". ... What is accurate?

Thanks again!

Florentia52

Modwoman in the attic
    English - United States
    Please explain what you want your sentence to mean, using other words. For example, are you trying to describe a class that met every Tuesday from 3 p.m. until 4 p.m.?

Hermione Golightly

British English
    'During an hour' suggests that the class took place at some time for some length of time in an hour, which is clearly not what is meant.

During the school holidays we spent a week in Portugal.

'During' does not mean 'lasting' an hour, in case there's some 'false-friend' influence here.

Olive Flower

Spanish- Colombia
    Understood! Thank you

'During an hour' suggests that the class took place at some time for some length of time in an hour, which is clearly not what is meant.

During the school holidays we spent a week in Portugal.

'During' does not mean 'lasting' an hour, in case there's some 'false-friend' influence here.

dojibear

English - Northeast US
    "The classes took place weekly during one hour"
    It isn't clear whether "during one hour" is intended to mean "at the same time each week" or "taking one hour to complete". For either meaning "during one hour" is not a good way to say it.

For the first meaning "at the same hour" or "at the same time" is better.

For the second meaning ", lasting one hour" is better.

Olive Flower

Spanish- Colombia
    It isn't clear whether "during one hour" is intended to mean "at the same time each week" or "taking one hour to complete". For either meaning "during one hour" is not a good way to say it.

For the first meaning "at the same hour" or "at the same time" is better.

For the second meaning ", lasting one hour" is better.
    Mr. Dojibear, thank you so much for the detailed explanation!

< Previous | Next >