Discussion in 'Deutsch (German)' started by bmarin, Dec 4, 2012.

  1. bmarin Member

    Hi everybody,

    I have to translate in a graphic context the word "tooltip" which relates to the explanation that pops up as the mouse is moved over a graphic element on the screen.
    Do you have any idea how it should be translated best in German? Is there a German translation to it, or was it imported as such?

    Thank you
  2. Arukami Senior Member

    It's "Tooltip", I don't think there is a German word for it. It was just imported as such!
  3. Gernot Back

    Gernot Back Senior Member

    Cologne, Germany
    German - Germany
    We use the expression Tooltip in German as well and because of the first, definitely English constituent Tool, unlike Tipp, I wouldn't write it with a double "p".
  4. bmarin Member

    Thank you Arukami
  5. bmarin Member

    Thank you Gernot.
  6. PaceFalmPG Senior Member

    You can say "Kurzinfo" and "Quickinfo", too. The former is more understandable to people who don't know much about computers.
  7. bmarin Member

    Thank you PaceFalmPG, however I am doing this translation for people who should know a little bit more about computers.
  8. PaceFalmPG Senior Member

    Then tooltip is definitely the right word.

Share This Page