Top-down and bottom-up

cec2

USA english
Hello,

I'm trying to translate the description of statistical methods. I'm stuck on the expressions 'top-down' and 'bottom-up'. Top-down describes when you have global information from it estimation/assume the particular. Bottom-up is when you have specific information that you are using to estimate the global. (this is as I understand things, please feel free to correct me if this in not true)

I have no idea how to translate them in French other than something like "du global a particulier" (sorry i don't have accents).

Thank you very much for your suggestion and help.

Catherine

• cec2

USA english
    DDT, what do you mean that they're not to be translated? do you mean if i'm talking about 2 approaches, a top down and bottom up, i just remove the qualifier and talk about two approaches?

Thanks!

Uncle Bob

British English
    Hello,
    Apparently the French Government (or some of it) agrees with DDT (here page 6)
    "La modélisation économique... Sur les problématiques climatiques, deux grandes familles d’approches sont utilisées : l’approche bottom up (modèles technico-économiques) et l’approche top down (modèles économiques)."

< Previous | Next >