top down and bottoms up [bottom up] approach

Zvonda

Czech Republic, Czech
Hello,

I am struggling with the following sentence, can somebody explain me the meaning of the highlighted phrase or better, use a synonymous expression to help me translate it into my language?
"...it is both a top down and bottoms up approach with a high degree of leadership ownership..."

• MuttQuad

English - AmE
    Hello,

I am struggling with the following sentence, can somebody explain me the meaning of the highlighted phrase or better, use a synonymous expression to help me translate it into my language?
    "...it is both a top down and bottoms up approach with a high degree of leadership ownership..."
    A little difficult because the sentence is written in business-ese semi-gibberish. Top down refers to (probably in this context) corporate culture permeating downward from the top (leaders). Bottom up (not bottoms) refers to the opposite: culture and ideas working their way up from the lowest echelons to the uppermost.

"Leadership ownership" is another nonsensical bit of argot that is helping to make your translation all the harder. Good luck.

Zvonda

Czech Republic, Czech
    There is a bit more:

"Please note and stress that there is NEVER one single silver bullet to achieve this type of success and that it is both a top down and bottoms up approach with a high degree of leadership ownership and responsibility for safety along with a high degree of employee involvement in the safety process. "

SOunds a bit complicated.

panjandrum

Occasional Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    "Please note and stress that there is NEVER one single silver bullet to achieve this type of success and that it is both a top down and bottoms up approach with a high degree of leadership ownership and responsibility for safety along with a high degree of employee involvement in the safety process. "

I'm sorry to say that this is not all that difficult for those of us who have been subjected to language of this kind over the years.

... top down...
    Senior management commitment.
    ... bottom up...
    Action to engage and motivate staff at lower levels.
    ...leadership ownership...
    Make sure all levels of management feel this is their responsibility.

The bit in blue is, to a significant extent, restating the bit in red but adding the bits about safety - no doubt the overall theme.

Andygc

British English
    There is a bit more:
    Indeed.

If you Google the exact phrase you have posted you will find that the author has grabbed a variety of clichés from various fine examples of business jargon. His or her only error was picking "bottoms up", which has nothing to do with business, but is a traditional toast when drinking alcohol.

The silver bullet is likely to be particularly effective against the undead and other such vermin and should be reserved for the author.

Zvonda

Czech Republic, Czech
    Thanks to all, especially Panjandrum- a very clear explanation. I understand now.

pops91710

English, AE
    A little difficult because the sentence is written in business-ese semi-gibberish. Top down refers to (probably in this context) corporate culture permeating downward from the top (leaders). Bottom up (not bottoms) refers to the opposite: culture and ideas working their way up from the lowest echelons to the uppermost.

"Leadership ownership" is another nonsensical bit of argot that is helping to make your translation all the harder. Good luck.
    This is what threw me off was the bottoms up. I saw a drinking toast and odd medical visions in my mind! :D

< Previous | Next >