Torture Advocate

NewAmerica

Mandarin
Failed to get the title "Torture Advocate, War Criminal: Trump Is Abusing His Power".

Does it refer to "John C. Yoo who is a torture advocate and war criminal, says that Trump Is Abusing His Power"?

Thanks in advance
Torture Advocate, War Criminal: Trump Is Abusing His Power

As a legal adviser to President George W. Bush, John C. Yoo drafted a document called the “Bybee Memorandum” that provided a rationale for presidential approval of torture. A few years later, during a debate at Notre Dame University, Yoo claimed that the president can order his subordinates to crush a child’s genitals in order to extract information from his parents – if the president certified that doing so was in the interest of national security.

-libertynewsdaily

Source

• Copyright

American English
    John Yoo is the Torture Advocate ... I see no suggest that he or Trump is a War Criminal in that article, unless the news source is simply adding War Criminal because what Yoo advocated contravenes existing law. I do think, consider the comma and colon, that they are attaching that name to Yoo.

JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    Trump has said he approves of torture and some feel that would make him a war criminal. That is the position that the headline summarizes. The text you quote describes a certain type of torture that Yoo has written would be acceptable if the President deemed it in the interest of national security.

Loob

English UK
    Ah ... in the light of Julian's comment, I can now see the headline quite differently - with "torture advocate" and "war criminal" applying to Trump.

I'd say, then, that the headline is ambiguous....

Copyright

American English
    I agree with Julian, but I will suggest that any headline that requires debate in this forum isn't a particularly good headline. :)

JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    Ah ... in the light of Julian's comment, I can now see the headline quite differently - with "torture advocate" and "war criminal" applying to Trump.

I'd say, then, that the headline is ambiguous....
    Agree. There is no indication anywhere that Yoo is considered a war criminal and he wrote opinions on how far presidential authority might extend in the case of torture ; however, I don't see that as "advocating" torture. Trump clearly has advocated it. The structure of the headline is unclear...

I any headline that requires debate in this forum isn't a particularly good headline. :)
    Agreed on that too:)

< Previous | Next >