total receptivity to the divine

Sirius77

Turkish
Hi,

I assume "total receptivity to the divine" means "total openness to the divine". Maybe I am misunderstanding.

Here the sentence: "Muslims venerate the Prophet Muhammad as the ‘Perfect Man’, whose life symbolises the total receptivity to the divine that characterises the archetypal, ideal human being." (K. Armstrong, Case for God).

What do you think?

Thank you.

• Uncle Jack

British English
    I think your understanding is fine, but "receptivity" in this context could mean rather more than "openness" does in ordinary English; it could mean that the Prophet Muhammad was a channel through whom God could act, that he was a receptor in a similar way to a radio receiver or cells in the body to which hormones bind. From just one sentence it is impossible to tell exactly what meaning the writer meant.

Sirius77

Turkish
    I think your understanding is fine, but "receptivity" in this context could mean rather more than "openness" does in ordinary English; it could mean that the Prophet Muhammad was a channel through whom God could act, that he was a receptor in a similar way to a radio receiver or cells in the body to which hormones bind. From just one sentence it is impossible to tell exactly what meaning the writer meant.
    Thank you both.

< Previous | Next >