Totally torque!

novinka1

Polish
Hello! In a cartoon that I'm translating one of the heroes is saying all the time: "Torque" eg: "Whoa! Snow! Totally torque!" . Or "It sounded totally torque to me". "This ideas are all torque, man". I have no idea what does it mean in this context. I believe it is sth positive... Thanks!

• Keith Bradford

English (Midlands UK)
    It means whatever the character wants it to mean. There are people in fiction (and occasionally in real life) who have a verbal tic. They will use one word or phrase endlessly, often without any clear meaning.

An early example is Nym in Shakespeare's Merry Wives of Windsor who uses the word humour in almost every line. Norah Vincent in Self-made Man describes a sales office where the watchword is juice. Very common are the repeated, meaningless repetitions of like and you know.

puli_dog

It means whatever the character wants it to mean. There are people in fiction (and occasionally in real life) who have a verbal tic. They will use one word or phrase endlessly, often without any clear meaning.

An early example is Nym in Shakespeare's Merry Wives of Windsor who uses the word humour in almost every line. Norah Vincent in Self-made Man describes a sales office where the watchword is juice. Very common are the repeated, meaningless repetitions of like and you know.
    I remember a friend of mine whose enthusiastic catchprase to indicate anything ranging from cool to great was "Selective!"

novinka1

Polish
    What's happening in this cartoon? Are they playing a winter sport?

"This ideas are" is incorrect.
    Well, they aren't playing any winter sport, but the episode takes place during winter. I haven't translated previous episodes, so I don't know if this word is a catchphrase, and it repeats in every episode...
    (*This ideas are all torque - I took directly from the script, perhaps sb misspelled it ;) )

puli_dog

Well, they aren't playing any winter sport, but the episode takes place during winter. I haven't translated previous episodes, so I don't know if this word is a catchphrase, and it repeats in every episode...
    (*This ideas are all torque - I took directly from the script, perhaps sb misspelled it ;) )
    I hear "torque" as strong, powerful