totally worth it

VicNicSor

Banned
Russian
Harry needed a donor kidney. They were looking for Harry's daughter as a donor. Then they learned she is not his daughter. Lloyd, without Harry knowing about it, got his kidney removed to donate it to Harry. It was done illegally and as it turned out, they left Lloyd's kidney with themselves and gave him a pork chop instead (Lloyd though it was the kidney)
And now, Harry says it was a prank and he never needed a kidney. Lloyd:
-- That is a good one. Totally worth it! (....) That was a good gag, Harry.
Dumb and Dumber To, movie

What is worth what? My guess: All these quests and having my kidney removed for nothing are worth learning that all that was just a gag.
Right? Thank you.

• Glasguensis

Signal Modulation
    English - Scotland
    I mean that there is nothing in the text itself which indicates to what he is referring. You have understood what the sentence means - what the sentence refers to is not a language question.

Glasguensis

Signal Modulation
    English - Scotland
    This is an idiomatic expression where "it" in general refers to some effort, trouble, pain or other price paid. There is nothing in what Lloyd says which tells us what he is thinking and therefore what he means specifically by "it". That is why I am saying that this is not a language question.

VicNicSor

Banned
    Russian
    "it" in general refers to some effort, trouble, pain or other price paid.
    Basically, the OP phrase is "it was worth it".
    If it's the second "it" that refers to "efforts" etc, then all I have to do is put one underlined part in #1 in palce of the other:
    Learning that all that was just a gag is worth all these quests and having my kidney removed for nothing.

That is: the outcome (a good gag) was worth the efforts spent on doing it.

Does that work?

Last edited:

Glasguensis

Signal Modulation
    English - Scotland
    The positive outcome was worth the negative price. You need to come to your own judgement on what positive outcome and negative price he had in mind.

< Previous | Next >