Toucher de l'étrave de

Ti Bateau

English
I believe this to be a sailing term; does it mean "As the bow of the boat approached ..."?

Toucher de l’étrave de son bateau ce pays ne pouvait que l'enchanter.

Merci d'avance.

• Kergouet

English - Britain
    Difficult without more context but I would imagine, "once touched by the bow of his boat this country couldn't fail to enchant him"

Dr Ralph

USA
    Français
    "once touched by the bow of his boat this country couldn't fail to enchant him"
    It's beautifully written. I might nevertheless slightly disagree with the final meaning: in the French phrase, it is literally the action of touching the country that enchants him, not the country itself. Something like "touching this country with the bow of his boat couldn't fail to enchant him". To try to make myself clear, the quest may be more important than the Grail.

I'm not even ashamed of looting.

constantlyconfused

English - British
    On touching the shore from the bow of his boat, he couldn't fail to be captivated by this country.

Or, if it's the boat itself that is doing the touching:

When the bow of his boat touched the shore, he couldn't fail to be captivated by this country.

Ti Bateau

English
    Speaking as an experienced sailor, I would not want the bow of my boat to touch the shore ;(
    I know it is poetical, but it still sounds strange - is it a common French expression?

< Previous | Next >