Touristic-Touristy

hotlio

el salvador spanish
what is the difference in the use of touristic and touristy???
anybody can help me please?

• Iararo

Spanish - Argentina
    Touristic:
    adj. of or pertaining to tourists or tourism; having the quality of a tourist.
    Touristy:
    Adjective
    1. visited by throngs of tourists; "of the three American Virgin islands St. Thomas is the most touristed"; "tourists descend in busloads...so the whole place is rather touristy"
    (synonym) touristed
    (similar) popular

Alisterio

UK English
    I totally agree with kayokid - the adjective "touristic" is rarely used in British English either and sounds very weird. It's much more common to use the noun "tourist" to function as an adjective. For example you would talk about the "tourist industry" or a "tourist attraction". To my mind the word "touristy" has a definite negative connotation to it: I think it is generally used to refer to places that have been spoilt by tourism and it brings to mind beach resorts full of bad-taste gift shops and nightclubs.

Adrian0192

Costa Rica, Spanish
    Hello everibody, does somebody know the diference between touristic and touristy? In the dictionary they have the same meaning but I wrote an e-mail to a friend of a mine wich said:

"Monteverde is a very toursitic place"

And he corrected it with:

"Monteverde is a very touristy place"

The idea that I want to express is: "a place very popular where pleople from all over go there on Holiday for example, like Miami Beach" "somewhere that is crowded with tourists from all over"

Best regards!

Adrian

Is correct to say touristic place or I have to say touristy place?

Last edited by a moderator:

page

Spanish
    I am not sure I can explain it but there is a difference. Touristy I feel means visited by a lot of people, for example Barcelona is a touristy city but at the same time it has an old touristic tradition. Touristic, maybe, as related to tourism. I hope maybe it helps or that a native speaker can help both of us now

mhp

American English
    Hello everybody, does somebody know the difference between touristic and touristy? In the dictionary they have the same meaning but I wrote an e-mail to a friend of a mine which said:

"Monteverde is a very toursitic place"

And he corrected it with:

"Monteverde is a very touristy place"

The idea that I want to express is: "a place very popular where people from all over go there on Holiday for example, like Miami Beach" "somewhere that is crowded with tourists from all over"

Best regards!

Adrian
    I don't consider "a touristic place" a mistake.

Thanks I do understand for example you say: toursity place or turisty city but touristic is more like: touristic regulations or touristic offices
    I'd say 'tourist information' (information for tourists) or 'tourist office' (an office where that information is available).

mhp

American English
    The WordReference dictionary does not have this word. I don't think it exists in English, or at least I have never heard it or read it.
    Hi Fenix,

Google has 3.6 million hits for touristic and 1.5 million hits for touristy, so I’m surprised you have not seen it before. Both words appear in both Oxford and Merriam-Webster. Oxford marks ‘touristy’ as ‘usually derogatory’ which I agree with and it may also explain why there are so many more occurrences of ‘touristic’.

touristy:
    1 : characteristic of or relating to tourists <touristy behavior>
    2 : patronized by or appealing to tourists <touristy restaurants>

touristic:
    of or relating to a tour, tourism, or tourists <the touristic tradition of visiting Roman ruins by night — Naomi Rosenblum>

page

Spanish
    I was interested in the thread because I had the same doubt as Hotlio. I have always said touristic rather than touristy. I have found that in wordreference and cambridge dictionaries the word touristic does not appear. I guess I agree with MHP. I check those dictionaries too. Conclusion maybe touristic is neutral where as touristy is a bit negative?

fenixpollo

American English
    Google has 3.6 million hits for touristic and 1.5 million hits for touristy, so I’m surprised you have not seen it before. Both words appear in both Oxford and Merriam-Webster.
    Saint Google has many millions of hits, most of which are for pages for countries or companies in which English is not the native language of most residents, such as Austria or Belgium. I'm suprised that it's in M-W, because my theory is that touristic is a British English word, and that it's not used in the US. Maybe the the Webster people were just being thorough. :)

Alisterio

UK English
    Saint Google has many millions of hits, most of which are for pages for countries or companies in which English is not the native language of most residents, such as Austria or Belgium. I'm suprised that it's in M-W, because my theory is that touristic is a British English word, and that it's not used in the US. Maybe the the Webster people were just being thorough. :)
    Hi Fenix,

Trust me, we don't use the word "touristic" in British English any more than you do in American English. It's so old-fashioned that the few times I'd come across it (almost always in English texts written by non-native speakers) I'd assumed it was a mistake. I guess it sounds 'right' to Spanish speakers' ears because "turístico" is used so often, but my advice would be to avoid it completely.
    :)

wfogg

Spanish - Spain
    I was looking for a translation related to "touristic" being right or wrong, but after reading all the threads I found in WR I am not so sure about it yet.

How should I say "Un país que es interesante desde un punto de vista turístico"?

I used to say "a touristic point of view" but reading about it I think I was wrong. Should I say "A country which is interesting from a tourist point of view"?

It doesn't have to be a very touristy country, or with many tourist arriving every year, it can be a country with just few visitors but very interesting for tourists to visit.

kayokid

English, USA
    I was looking for a translation related to "touristic" being right or wrong, but after reading all the threads I found in WR I am not so sure about it yet.

How should I say "Un país que es interesante desde un punto de vista turístico"?

I used to say "a touristic point of view" but reading about it I think I was wrong. Should I say "A country which is interesting from a tourist point of view"?

It doesn't have to be a very touristy country, or with many tourist arriving every year, it can be a country with just few visitors but very interesting for tourists to visit.
    I think you could simply say: 'A country which is interesting from a tourist's point of view.'

wfogg

Spanish - Spain
    Thank you very much kayokid. ;)

I think I could use that, even though it is not exactly what I try to express. I know there is not always a way to express something in another language, but is there any way of expressing it from a "general" point of view? More than a particular point of view "from the point of view of the tourist".

But thanks a lot in any case!

fenixpollo

American English
    I know there is not always a way to express something in another language, but is there any way of expressing it from a "general" point of view? More than a particular point of view "from the point of view of the tourist".
    When you say "desde un punto de vista turístico", whose point of view are you talking about, if not the tourist's?

You may want to say it a different way: A country that is interesting in terms of tourism.

mirx

Banned
    Español
    When you say "desde un punto de vista turístico", whose point of view are you talking about, if not the tourist's?

You may want to say it a different way: A country that is interesting in terms of tourism.

I was hoping some native would chip in. This is one of those cases where touristic would just come in handy if it weren't so outdated. Desde un punto de vista turístico refers to the tourism industry and what they think may have appeal for tourists; yet, one cannot say "from the point of view of the tourism industry" unless it was specific that someone is talking on their behalf.

nosecohn

English - American
    I'm coming to this conversation late, but I thought I'd add my two cents.

As a native English speaker with an extensive vocabulary, I actually had to look up "touristic" to see if it was really a word. Although it does appear in the dictionary, I have NEVER heard a native speaker use it. The word sounds invented or like a poor translation of the Spanish word "turística".

If I wanted to describe a place as "touristic," I would instead call it "a popular tourist destination" or "a popular destination for tourism" or even just "a tourist spot."

The word "touristy" is slightly derogatory, indicating that a place may be over-exposed and steeped in consumerism, like Disneyland or Times Square.

< Previous | Next >