town's one horse

opjeshke

Albanian
The two guys are in the middle of nowhere, in a little city in Canada, in the middle of the night. Their car tires are down and they see a cab but in that cab there might be an enemy of theirs, who is just waiting for the moment that they get on the cab, to go in the hotel, so he can beat or even kill them. The man understands this and starts thinking:

We are in the empty square of a godforsaken town in the middle of the tundra on a freezing March night when even the town's one horse is asleep. Your car has been deliberately disabled. One taxi stands conveniently available, a second has now joined it. Who else are the taxis waiting for but us? Is it not reasonable to assume that the people who disabled your car are the same people who would like us to ride in theirs?

As I checked, one-horse town is "a small town where very little happens", but I am not very clear the way it is used in this phrase, how to translate it. If you can help me....

• Loob

English UK
    Hi opjeshke

This is a humorous twisting of the expression "one-horse town" (which you have defined accurately:))

Not only is this a "one-horse town" - but the town's "one horse" is asleep.

It is, therefore, an exceedingly boring place ...

opjeshke

Albanian
    Thank you Loob, now I am pretty sure I understood it right
    Albanian SwissPete: I am translating a book in Albanian that is why I ask time to time about some phrases I am not sure
    Thank you for your attention everybody

< Previous | Next >