welshy

English - Australian
hello all :) - would this be a russian-y way of saying:
Track your weight loss:

'"отслеживайте Вашу потерю веса"'

or does it sound too clumsy? Its on a form you fill out to track your progress

thanks x

• Sobakus

A rule of thumb: if the subject is also the possessor, the pronoun your/his/my translates to свой in Russian. So it's "отслеживайте свою потерю веса", but it sounds somewhat strange to me(I'm no expert in such areas though). What does the English sentence mean exactly? Is it asking you if you want your weight loss to be tracked, or does it advise you to do it, or something else?

Last edited:

morzh

Banned
    USA
    Russian
    A rule of thumb: if the subject is also the possessor, the pronoun your/his/my translates to свой in Russian. So it's "отслеживайте свою потерю веса", but it sounds somewhat strange to me(I'm no expert in such areas though). What does the English sentence mean exactly? Is it asking you if you want your weight loss to be tracked, or does it advise you to do it, or something else?

I would agree for the general usage, but: for the purposes of commercials actually "Ваш" is used more.
    Especially if the subject noun was not named explicitly.

Обслуживайте вашу машину с удовольствием!
    Заставьте ваши деньги работать!

Ну и, из знаменитого:

Не прячьте ваши денежки по банкам и углам (Буратино).
    Автор, кстати - Б. Окуджава!

PS. It is possible in these cases (except with "машина") that it is meant as "ваши" not "Ваши", and then maybe it is OK.
    And in the case with the weight loss it is possible the crowd is addressed, not a person.

welshy

English - Australian
    thanks for the reply, i always forget about свой :(

the english is telling / suggesting that you fill out a graph in order to track your weightloss to enourage you to reach your goal weight.

thanks again

morzh

Banned
    USA
    Russian
    BTW, a legit question, "your weight loss" - is it a person's weight loss or is it a commercial for "you people", and it is "your, people, weight loss"?

Maroseika

Russian
    Следите за уменьшением своего веса.
    Следите за тем, как уменьшается (будет уменьшаться) ваш вес.

< Previous | Next >