traction (transport & logistique)

Discussion in 'French-English Vocabulary / Vocabulaire Français-Anglais' started by tartopom, Dec 3, 2015.

1. tartopom Senior Member

Nougatville
    French
    Hello,
    Does "single forwarder" make sense if I speak about "une (seule) traction"? I mean just one truck/lorry from loading to unloading.
    Thanks for your help.

Well, it's just about vocabulary - I'm sorry, but no sentences !! It's about freight transport, land shipping. You can have, let's say, 2 possibilities. # 1 = a single truck from loading to unloading, called in French " une traction". And # 2 = two or more trucks to supply the goods to the client - alors on dit "2 (voire plus) tractions."
    Hope it's clearer.

Mod note: donnez tout le contexte dès le début.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 18, 2016
  2. Gérard Napalinex

Gérard Napalinex Senior Member

Lyon, France
    French - France
    Bonjour

On dit plutôt "un tracteur" (chercher par exemple sur l'internet "tracteur semi-remorque")

3. Kelly B

Kelly B Senior Member

USA English
    Something like single hauler or single load?

4. tartopom Senior Member

Nougatville
    French
    Thanks a lot Gérard & Kelly. Sorry Gérard, but it seems to be " traction" and not "tracteur". It's not about the vehicle itself but about the number of trucks needed for one delivery.

5. Topsie

Topsie Senior Member

Avignon, France
    English-UK
    The context is road haulage.
    I have a question about "traction" (in French). It appears to be the same thing as "groupage / dégroupage", i.e. the activity of bringing a truckload of goods to a distribution centre, then dispatching the load to trucks going to different destinations. This operation often takes place at night (including the driving).
    Is there a term for this in English?
    Any logistics managers/truckers out there???