traction (transport & logistique)

Discussion in 'French-English Vocabulary / Vocabulaire Français-Anglais' started by tartopom, Dec 3, 2015.

  1. tartopom Senior Member

    Does "single forwarder" make sense if I speak about "une (seule) traction"? I mean just one truck/lorry from loading to unloading.
    Thanks for your help.

    Well, it's just about vocabulary - I'm sorry, but no sentences !! It's about freight transport, land shipping. You can have, let's say, 2 possibilities. # 1 = a single truck from loading to unloading, called in French " une traction". And # 2 = two or more trucks to supply the goods to the client - alors on dit "2 (voire plus) tractions."
    Hope it's clearer.

    Mod note: donnez tout le contexte dès le début.
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 18, 2016
  2. Gérard Napalinex

    Gérard Napalinex Senior Member

    Lyon, France
    French - France

    On dit plutôt "un tracteur" (chercher par exemple sur l'internet "tracteur semi-remorque")
  3. Kelly B

    Kelly B Senior Member

    USA English
    Something like single hauler or single load?
  4. tartopom Senior Member

    Thanks a lot Gérard & Kelly. Sorry Gérard, but it seems to be " traction" and not "tracteur". It's not about the vehicle itself but about the number of trucks needed for one delivery.
  5. Topsie

    Topsie Senior Member

    Avignon, France
    The context is road haulage.
    I have a question about "traction" (in French). It appears to be the same thing as "groupage / dégroupage", i.e. the activity of bringing a truckload of goods to a distribution centre, then dispatching the load to trucks going to different destinations. This operation often takes place at night (including the driving).
    Is there a term for this in English?
    Any logistics managers/truckers out there???

Share This Page