Trade in / merchandising of metallurgical products

susanna76

Romanian
Hi,

I am translating a resume and the person has worked for a company which, in effect, sold metallurgical products. I'm having trouble turning that "sell" verb into a noun. Should I say
1. company profile: trade in metallurgical products
or
2. company profile: merchandising of metallurgical products
?

Thank you!

• PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    In describing the company, I would say

1. company profile: metallurgical product traders/trading.

Merchandising implies "marketing" which is probably not what you want as this includes the skills of advertising, demographics, statistics, etc. and less of the actual selling.

susanna76

Romanian
    What if I say "Trading in metallurgical products"?
    P.S. Machiavelli01, I also like your suggestion.

Andygc

British English
    No it doesn't. The first definitions of "trade" in the Wordreference dictionary:
    Noun
    the act or process of buying, selling, or exchanging goods:domestic trade; foreign trade.

Verb
    to buy and sell; carry on trade or commerce in or with

susanna76

Romanian
    Thank you so much, Andygc! The Romanian word did in fact mean "buy and sell," not just "sell." I know I said "sell" in the OP but at the back of my mind I kept the notion of "buy and sell," which is why I kept reaching for "trade" as well. (But I also had some doubts as to its "exchanging goods" meaning, even though "trade" is widely used for "commerce.")

So of the two, which one is better:
    1. Company profile: Trade in metallurgical products
    2. Company profile: Trading in metallurgical products

Andygc

British English
    The activity the company undertakes is "trading", but I doubt that matters in what amounts to no more than a phrase. But "trading in m... p..." is no better or worse than PaulQ's "metallurgical product trading".

Packard

USA, English
    I work in the metals industry. I rarely hear "metallurgical" being used. "Metallurgical" refers to metals that are formed by the use of heat. That would include castings, forgings, and extrusions. Most often you simply hear someone say, "I'm in the casting [or forging or extrusions] business.

For cold forming of metals there are other terms.

Are you sure that "metallurgical" is your correct word?

susanna76

Romanian
    Hi Packard, yes, metallurgy is what I have and it corresponds to the dictionary entry. I guess I can say I've never seen it used either, but the definition fit my needs:
    the technique or science of working or heating metals so as to give them certain desired shapes or properties.
    the technique or science of making and compounding alloys.
    the technique or science of separating metals from their ores.

I appreciate your comments on how people do actually refer to work in this industry.

< Previous | Next >