trading position

entrapta

Italian
trading position

Hi guys; when you say that a company do not want to "divulge their trading position" does that mean "rendere nota la posizione finanziaria (o commerciale)"?

• entrapta

Italian
    By incorporating as Pananamian company , the speculators hoped to evade appempts by the Commodity Futures Trading Commission to make them divulge their trading position. (the company knew they would be a pain in the neck for the US)

entrapta

Italian
    I found on the dictionary that position or financial position is the same and is "posizione /situazione finanziaria". Do you think I can assume trading position is another way to put it?

entrapta

Italian
    Sorry to bother again, I wondered if "trading position" could be translated as "posizione finanziaria", regariding the fact that a big company with US operators was incorporated as a Panamian-based group so as to avoid having to divulge information such as their trading position.

pescara

English-USA
    Te lo spiego in inglese. Forse ti aiutera'.

A trading position means one of the following:
    • You have bought an asset in the hopes that you can sell it in the future after its price goes up (this is known as a "long" position), or
    • You have borrowed something and sold it, hoping that the price will go down and you can buy it at a lower price when you have to return the asset to the person who lent it to you (known as a "short" position).
    Traders often don't want to disclose their trading positions because that could work against their interests. For example, if you are in the process of buying an asset, you don't want other people to know. If they know, they might buy the asset also and drive up its price. That will increase the price you pay for your next purchase.

Spero che sia utile.
    Ciao.

entrapta

Italian
    I see.... there remains the problem of turning it into Italian... It seems to me we're talking about trading strategies... It's weird I couldn't find anything explaining the term in Italian, nor even in the economics dictionary.

pescara

English-USA
    I see.... there remains the problem of turning it into Italian... It seems to me we're talking about trading strategies... It's weird I couldn't find anything explaining the term in Italian, nor even in the economics dictionary.

Yes, a trading position is the result of your trading strategies. Unfortunately, I don't know how to translate these terms into Italian.
    Ciao.