Tragic Villain

< Previous | Next >

fantomedelopera

English - Canada
I was wondering how you would say "Tragic Villain" in french.

A tragic villain is a character, usually an antagonist that does not truly intend to be a villain. They are perhaps misled or not entirely in control of their feelings and/or actions, or pursuing morally ambiguous logic. This archetype originates as an antithesis to the more classic tragic hero of Aristotelian tragedy which continued into use as a basis for Shakespearean plays. In modern comic books and graphic novels, the character is sometimes referred to as a sympathetic villain.

I was wondering if you could call it a "villain tragique" or something?
Thankss

• Xavier11222

France French
    As you may see in the French page for the Wikipedia article you're quoting here, villains taxonomy is fairly pauper in French (and its vocabulary does sound a little childish to French speakers).
    I don't think there is much categorization done for bad guys in scholarly studies; mostly for tales typologies include "les méchants". You can speak of "un adversaire tragique" or "un ennemi de tragédie". Here, it's the case of "un méchant qui est en fait un gentil contrarié", but that may sound off or sarcastic.
    I don't think "vilain" has gone mainstream yet - I'd be curious to know if any pop-culture or narrative scholars of French on the forum have a better sense of this.

archijacq

french France
    A tragic villain is a character, usually an antagonist that does not truly intend to be a villain.

un méchant bien intentionné

< Previous | Next >