traits that fit the stereotype of...

< Previous | Next >

kaze_hikaru

Korean
source) Atkinson & Hilgards' introduction to psychology 15th edition

At first, participants expected this new acquaintance to be somewhat depressed, fearful, and insecure, traits that fit the stereotype of a former mental patient.

I think it is needed to add a kind of preposition or conjunction...isn't it? Is it common in English?
When I read the book, it's really hard to understand quickly at first. I can guess what traits mean in that sentence....but why the author omitted a connective word? And What an appropriate word can I add to between that sentence?

• exgerman

NYC
    English but my first language was German
    There are two problems, no?

1) The comma before traits is equivalent to a dash to show that there is a break in the grammatical structure, and 2) the use of a noun to sum up a string of adjectives is awkward.

But such infelicities are frequent in academic prose.

JustKate

I think the sentence is fine as written. If you wanted to insert a word before traits, you certainly could, but it's not necessary. Among the possibilities: all traits, all of which are traits, and which are traits.

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    You could write:

At first, participants expected this new acquaintance to be somewhat depressed, fearful, and insecure, i.e. traits that fit the stereotype of a former mental patient.

or

At first, participants expected this new acquaintance to be somewhat depressed, fearful, and insecure, and, by those attributes, I mean traits that fit the stereotype of a former mental patient.

But neither of the above are necessary at all and the example sentence is perfect as it is.

< Previous | Next >