trampling small children

Irelia20150604

Chinese
The quotation comes from Humble Pie? Precisely

Quotation: A little more history: the initial pie sweeteners were maple syrup, owing to a plethora of trees in New England, and low-cost molasses, as sugar was extremely expensive in the United States until the mid-1800s. The first known recipe for pumpkin pie was written in the 17th century in England, and the process has changed little, although a bottom crust came later. The graham cracker crust, infinitely easier than a pastry crust, is relatively new — it surfaced in the 1930s — and, of course, controversial.

(Speaking for myself, a banana cream pie with said crust is worth trampling small children, who can later be mollified with chocolate chip cookies.)
==
Hi everyone! How should i understand "trampling" here?

• Barque

Tamil
    It has its literal meaning: to step heavily on, but not meant to be taken too literally.

It's a joke - the writer's saying he's fond enough of banana cream pie with a graham cracker crust that he would trample on (or use physical force against) small children to get to it before them.

Edinburgher

German/English bilingual
    The author means she would (not quite literally) tread on the children to prevent them gaining access to the pie. She wants the pie all to herself.

Barque

Tamil
    I haven't understood 'to get to it before them' yet.
    I meant "in order to get to the pie before the children".

She liked that sort of pie so much that she would be willing to trample any children who were around, to make sure she got the pie and not them.

kentix

English - U.S.
    Basically, the analogy is to a race to get to the pie. Somebody puts it on a table and calls out "Here's banana cream pie!" to everyone nearby. She is saying, as everyone runs to get some pie, she would be willing to run right over smaller, slower children trying to get to the pie, so she could get there first and eat the pie.

< Previous | Next >