Transcendent

• Truffula

English - USA
    < Of topic comment removed by moderator. (Cagey). >

"Transcendent" doesn't sound right to me either. Who does the site attribute the quote to? (The site won't load for me, not sure why.)

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    Love can be 'transcendent' in the sense that it overcomes or surpasses all obstacles. Here is an example of 'transcendent' being used to describe love:

The rock lyricists of the 60's were fond of talking about "love." To the Beatles, "love" was transcendent, an irresistible force for good that could accomplish practically anything. (The lyrics of 'All you need is love' are presented to illustrate this.)
    The New York Times Guide to the Arts of the 20th Century: 1900-1929 by D. J. R. Bruckner (2002)
    I agree that it would be odd to say a mother's love for her son was transcendent. It is also odd to say "transcendent for other people." I am not sure what the intended meaning would be. If we want to say that her love came before her love for other things or people, we would probably use the verb form: Her love for her son transcended all obstacles.

barking fellows

italiano e romagnolo
    "Mother`s love for her son is something transcendent for other people."

I think it means that motherly love is beyond them, escapes them, goes over their heads (or hearts ;)?).
    I would use TO instead of FOR and it would perfectly work in Italian - not sure about English

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    "Mother`s love for her son is something transcendent for other people."

I think it means that motherly love is beyond them, escapes them, goes over their heads (or hearts ;)?).
    I would use TO instead of FOR and it would perfectly work in Italian - not sure about English
    In English, 'transcendent' does not have that meaning. If that is the intended meaning, we might say something like 'beyond what other people can feel.'

< Previous | Next >