transfer major

< Previous | Next >

beandrink

China-Mandarin
The student transferred to the Department of XXX after the first semester she majored in YYY at ZZZ university.

or

The student transferred to the Department of XXX after she majored in YYY for one semester at ZZZ university.

How can I make the sentence more idiomatic? Thank you!

• Nunty

Hebrew-US English (bilingual)
    Hi beandrink,

I assume (from your use of "major") that you are interested in American English. Is that right?

What is it that bothers you about the sentence? We do not do general corrections, but would be happy to try to help you with a specific question.

beandrink

China-Mandarin
    Hello Nunty,
    You're right.:)
    I am not sure whether it is idiomatic to write "after the first semester she majored in YYY"?

Copyright

American English
    In this case, it might be better to start off with where she was and work toward where she is...

After majoring in physics for one semester at Purdue University, she transferred to the Department of Fine Arts.

If there is anything that is still odd about that sentence, it's that it's construction makes me think she's going to transfer schools, as well. I would normally expect the fact that she is still a student at Purdue to be revealed in a separate sentence... like this:

Mary has been as student at Purdue for two years now. After majoring in physics her first semester, she transferred to the Department of Fine Arts.

If you like one of your first two sentences better, perhaps this:
    The student transferred to the Department of Fine Arts after majoring in physics for one semester at Purdue University.
    The Purdue University student transferred to the Department of Fine Arts after majoring in physics for one semester.

< Previous | Next >