Translating songs

esdras

English USA
Is it appropriate in this "academic" forum for a private person to ask for some help in translating words to songs?

• Sirène

France - français
    Hi Esdras, I think it is, but if the song you want the translation of is under copyright you may not post it here in full, but provide a link to it.
    I hope my answer is correct! :eek:

Agnès E.

France, French
    Yes it is, Sirène ! :)

Bonjour Esdras,
    Bienvenue sur le forum !

As junior member, you are not supposed to be able to post links (this is intended to avoid spam). Please feel free to send me a PM with the title of the song and I will post the link for you. :)

esdras

English USA
    Merci beaucoup! Someone on the forum advised me that there might be a problem sharing translations of songs because of copywright laws. However, I don't think this is a problem, because the lyrics in French are readily available on the internet for anyone to see. That's how I obtained them...I can't understand lyrics by hearing only.

I was given a CD that I really enjoy. I'm trying very hard to translate the words. My only background in French is a lot of self-study and a couple of foreign exchange students. So I'm having a pretty tough time.

Here are some limited lyrics with my translation. The line I really can't understand is in green. Please, any help with this one line?:

That which doesn’t kill me

Makes me strong

One could come to blows

I’m with the one who encourages me

I remain as long as one supports me
    Où je reprends seule le chemin
    Where I recapture only the way (?)

In spite of the risks that this entails

With you I will be well

Even without you I will be well

Note de la modératrice : paroles disponibles ici.

Hakro

Finnish - Finland
    Hi Edras,

I think your translation wasn't perfect only by words but also by rhythm, which is absolutely necessary in songs. I checked it by singing your translation. It's perfect, as far as I understand French and English.

I don 't know the original French song but I suppose that the singer might, in spite of your wonderful translation, need to 'adapt' in some points, but it's not important.

If you can sing your translation along the original song, I'm sure your translation is all right. As I don't know the original song, it's hard to say.

To assure you, Edras, I have written songs in Finnish, in English and in French. Of course, they have been sung only by myself -- when nobody is listening.

esdras

English USA
    Thank you Hakro for the very encouraging reply!! But I know that the line translated in green isn't correct. It just doesn't make sense. Can you help me improve it?

la grive solitaire

United States, English
    Hi esdras,

Here's what I make of it--see what you think...

What doesn’t kill me

Makes me strong

We could fight/come to blows

I belong to the one who carries me away

I remain/stay as long as someone puts up with me

Then [At that point] I go my own way alone again

Despite the risks that this entails

With you, I'll gladly go (a double meaning: I'll gladly go and I'll be fine (like je vais bien: " I'm fine" but the future tense)

Even without you I'll be fine

Agnès E.

France, French
    esdras said:
    Merci beaucoup! Someone on the forum advised me that there might be a problem sharing translations of songs because of copywright laws. However, I don't think this is a problem, because the lyrics in French are readily available on the internet for anyone to see. That's how I obtained them...I can't understand lyrics by hearing only.
    Bonjour Esdras!
    This other member was perfectly right: you shouldn't have posted the song the way you did. A link to the song would have been preferable, as specified in WR rules related to copyright issues:

Rule #16 said:
    No web pages or copyrighted or plagiarized content may be inserted into WordReference posts. Minor fair use excerpts from dictionaries such as a definition/translation or two is permitted. Other quotes of less than one paragraph (4 sentences) are permitted as well. All other forms of inserted content from press releases, newsletters, web pages, or any other copyrighted content placed into messages will be removed without exception. A link to the content is acceptable and appropriate.
    Thus, I have modified the post according to this rule.

Thank you for understanding.

< Previous | Next >