Transliteration into Greek Alphabet

< Previous | Next >

federix

Italian - Italy, English - Britain
Of course we all know about ローマ字, used to transliterate Japanese text into the Roman alphabet. I recently discovered that there is a キリ字 (transliteration of Japanese into Cyrillic characters, the most widely adopted system being the one by Yevgeny Polivanov). I was wondering whether anyone is aware of a similar transliteration system for the Greek alphabet. Does it exist? Are there any standards with references online of how Japanese text can be transliterated into Greek?

• Tonky

Japanese
    I'm not really sure if there are any certain known systems in Greek letters like there are a few of those in Cyrillic (キリル文字 in Japanese, by the way).
    The table in the following link is taken from a book on modern Greek (published in 2001) written by 谷川政美, a language researcher at an institute under MEXT. (Bibles, ancient languages, Arabic studies and so on.)
    http://www.geocities.jp/p451640/moji/skm/gjo/gjo_11s.html

Also, for easy transliterations by typing in hiragana ↓
    http://uenosato.net:8080/~moji/php/kana_grk.php

Last edited:
    You can look here some systems made by native Greeks:
    Μεταγραφή ιαπωνικών με ελληνικούς χαρακτήρες - Βικιπαίδεια
    Σύστημα απόδοσης ιαπωνικών με ελληνικούς χαρακτήρες - ΕΛΛΑΔΑ - ΙΑΠΩΝΙΑ
    Μεταγραφή από λατινογραμμένα σύγχρονα Ιαπωνικά σε Ελληνικά

Please, note that these are based on modern Greek phonology and aren't standards, as there's no standard way to transliterate any language into Greek. But, usually, Greek translators transliterate foreign words in the simplest way. That is only ι for y, i etc. (no η, υ, ει, οι), only ο for o, french au/eau etc. (no ω), double consonants become single (e.g. Sapporo → Σαπόρο, Hokkaido → Χοκάιντο), no distinction between nt, d, nd (all are ντ), no distinction between mp, b, mb (alle are μπ). But for a strange reason, they transliterate nk/nc as νκ (instead of the orthographically correct γκ), ng as νγκ (instead of the phonologically correct γγ, γκ | Hong Kong → Χονγκ Κονγκ instead of Χογγ Κογγ/Χογκ Κογκ | Ping pong → Πινγκ πονγκ instead of Πιγγ πογγ/Πιγκ πογκ). [γκ in the beginning of the words is hard g and in the middle is ng, μπ in the beginning of the word is b and in the middle is mb, ντ in the beginning of the words is d and in the middle is nd | no nk, mp, nt].

< Previous | Next >