transports en commun (play on words)

< Previous | Next >

navs

English
hello all

would like to get an equivalent in English to the bolded pharse in the following (taken from the start of an episode of a comedy programme called Bref):

• Le tournage de cet épisode n'a pas été autorisé dans les transports en commun. Il a donc été réalisé sans transports en commun. Ne tentez pas de reproduire cela chez vous.

I have been told that it is a play on words using 'transport' as meaning to "move emotionally", so is there a good equivalent in English?

thx in advance

Last edited:
  • DrD

England English
    Hello navs and welcome to the forum,

You can talk in English about someone going into 'transports' of delight, but that's the only thing that springs to mind and it's a bit old fashioned and unusual. I don't know if you can think of any way of using that, but at least I've bumped your question up the list a bit...

Uncle Bob

British English
    Hello,
    Since "transports en commun" is "public transport" you can have "without transporting the public" or "without the public being transported" or "without transports for the public".

Last edited:

Oddmania

French
    Hi,

To be honest I don't think there's a pun intended here! Maybe it would sound different if I was watching the episode, but I don't think so.

navs

English
    Hi,

To be honest I don't think there's a pun intended here! Maybe it would sound different if I was watching the episode, but I don't think so.
    well if you know Bref, you know everything there is subject to some humour!

i guess my favourite translation so far would be 'The shooting of this episode was not allowed on the public transportation system. So don't expect it to make you laugh. And don't try this at home'

any opinions?

SydneyBox

English -Ireland
    Oh Dear, Trying to translate a pun that might not even be there. My try:

The forbidding of filming in public transport curtailed the expression of moving displays of public emotion.

Terrible I know

archijacq

french France
    twisting the original sentence around:
    As the shooting of this episode was not allowed in public transportation, no mass shooting was included.

pointvirgule

langue française
    My humble adaptation:

The filming of this episode
    in the public transit system was not authorized. Therefore, don't expect to be carried away by it.

navs

English
    wow according to my French wife this is the closest in meaning! many thanks keep them coming!

< Previous | Next >