travail / mémoire de fin d'études

Discussion in 'French-English Vocabulary / Vocabulaire Français-Anglais' started by RaptorKiller, May 18, 2008.

  1. RaptorKiller New Member

    French - France
    Hello all, how can we translate "Mémoire de fin d'études" in English please,
    to be more precise this kind of thesis is done to finnish my engineer school and to present the work i've done during my intership in a company for 6 months.

    Thanks in advance.



    Moderator note: multiple threads merged to create this one
    Note de la modération : plusieurs fils ont été fusionné pour créer celui-ci
    Last edited by a moderator: May 26, 2013
  2. fx1267 Member

    "Dissertation" or "Thesis" according to your degree.
  3. Donaldos

    Donaldos Senior Member

    French - France
    Difficile, comme d'habitude, de trouver un équivalent. Master's thesis fait référence à quelque chose de (relativement) proche dans les pays anglo-saxon, à savoir un mémoire conditionnant l'obtention du grade de Master, aujourd'hui à peu près équivalent à celui conféré par le diplôme d'ingénieur en France.
  4. RaptorKiller New Member

    French - France
    Master's thesis. Perfect.
    Thanks dudes.
  5. madama Senior Member

    Travail de fin d'études et mémoire de fin d'études sont la meme chose? Il y a une différence?

  6. jerem Member

    Francais - France
    Oui ça correspond a peut prêt a la même chose.
    En faculté on aura plutôt tendance à parler de mémoire de fin d'étude alors qu'en école d'ingénieur on dira travail de fin d'étude
  7. madama Senior Member

    Merci beaucoup!
    Le texte que je dois traduire est belge...tu penses qu'en belgique la signification peut etre différente?
  8. Anikafm New Member

    French - Belgium + English - England
    Je suis belge et en dernière année, et nous on utilise les deux termes pour parler de la même chose... En général ça dépend tout simplement des écoles...
  9. OLN

    OLN Senior Member

    French - France, ♀
    Travail est un terme imprécis, ça peut être un mémoire ou tout autre chose (un essai, p.ex).
    Si tu écris un mémoire, ce sera un mémoire de fin d'études.
  10. Anikafm New Member

    French - Belgium + English - England
    Dans certaines écoles l'appellation officielle du mémoire est "TFE" pour "travail de fin d'études"... Ca dépend des écoles.
  11. Amylee812 Member

    France - French

    How would you translage mémoire de fin d'études: "Master thesis"?

    Thanks for your help.
  12. Monsieur Hoole Senior Member

    Canada English
    Assuming it's for a master's degree ==> Master's thesis

    M. H. :)
  13. ayamanayol New Member

    the exact translation for a memoire de fin d'études is "senior thesis". a senior thesis is a thesis you write on the fourth year of your undergraduate study.
  14. wesetters Senior Member

    Few undergraduate courses (at least in the UK excluding Scotland) are more than 3 years long.

    (On a sidenote, for me thesis is more for PhD study, for undergraduate and Master's level work, I think dissertation is a much more common term, at least in GB.)
  15. ayamanayol New Member

    The terminology changes from place to place. In the US undergraduate education lasts four years and whether you are a superkid and finish in three years (very rare) or finish in five years, the thesis you write in your last year (in the US the word "dissertation" is used uniquely for PhD) is called a "senior thesis". I am absolutely certain because I wrote one.
  16. nate479

    nate479 Senior Member


    How can you possibly translate this into English? "Mémoire de fin d'études"?
    When I asked my teacher, she looked embarrassed and told me the word "mémoire" was also used in English... Anyway I'm not convinced and that's something I would like to clarify before sending my letter to a company which I'd like to work in...

    Thanks a lot.

  17. gardian

    gardian Banned

    English - Ireland
    What do you mean by your mémoire de fin d'études ?

    An end of studies dissertation / paper ?

    Thèse ou article selon le cas.
  18. nate479

    nate479 Senior Member

    In fact, this is a sixty pages document that I've written, answering to a key question which was a problem I met during a placement, at the end of my studies. It was a kind of final exam with a, oral presentation.
  19. gardian

    gardian Banned

    English - Ireland
    An end of studies paper.
  20. nate479

    nate479 Senior Member

    thanks a lot! your help has been most valuable to me. :)
  21. DrD

    DrD Senior Member

    Cantal, France
    England English

    I know this thread is old, but just a couple of things to add. Firstly, in response to this, nearly all undergraduate language courses in the UK are four years (because they include one year of study or work abroad in addition to the usual three years of study within the university). In the UK, for an undergraduate degree (licence) for some courses you have a final year dissertation. For a master's degree you have a master's dissertation and 'thesis' is exclusively for PhDs (you can either just say 'thesis' on its own or 'PhD thesis/doctoral thesis'. I see from ayamanayol's post:

    That it is the exact opposite in the US. I will suggest to WordReference that the dictionary entry is updated for this to reflect different levels of study and different UK/US terms for these.

    Oh, and I'm quite sure about the UK terms because I have written all three (final year dissertation, master's dissertation, and doctoral thesis). It is possible that some universities may use a different term for undergraduate work (sometimes this kind of thing can vary between institutions), but certainly 'dissertation' for a master's and 'thesis' for a PhD are the standard terms in the UK.
  22. gardian

    gardian Banned

    English - Ireland
    @ DrD :

    I agree with thesis only for doctoral level work.
    Of course you will see some people referring to their "Master's thesis" nonetheless.:)

    But some other points are less cut and dried than you suggest.
    Even in the UK (England & Wales), there is some variation in the structure (and thus time of study) for a primary degree.
    The clearest example is of course those engineering degrees done on a "sandwich" basis.

    There may be other similar degree courses, e.g. in biotechnology, earth sciences, marketing, etc that also interpose a placement period before the student's final year.
    Then there are those engineering degrees which have a foundation year before the conventional 3 year course.

    Both of these options make the overall course ~ 4 years long.

    Personally, I do not see how a 3 year course can hold a candle to a 4 year one, especially where there's a lot of different areas in that degree course, e.g. mechanical engineering, computer science, even translation studies.
    But this is all off-topic of course.
    Last edited: May 26, 2013
  23. DrD

    DrD Senior Member

    Cantal, France
    England English
    Sorry gardian, I should have made it clearer that I was responding to wesetter's assertion that few undergraduate courses in the UK are more than 3 years long, but it certainly wasn't my intention to suggest that only language courses are longer :eek: I was merely using that as an example of a particular course that is definitely nearly always 4 years long.

Share This Page