Travel A Good Deal

< Previous | Next >

namlan

Banned
Vietnam
A: When you have a cat, you'll have a lot more work. Don't you travel a good deal?
B: Yeah. My job keeps me too busy for a cat. I guess.

- Instead of "travel a good deal", can I say "travel much / travel a lot"? and "My job keeps me too busy for a cat." means "I'm too busy with my job so that I can't raise a cat.", right?

Thanks a lot!

NamLan

• Toadie

English
    Yep, although "raising a cat" sounds kind of odd to my ears, even if it is correct, and makes perfect sense. I'd just say "too busy to have a cat" or "take care of a cat".

And yes, a 'great deal' means 'a lot', although 'much' wouldn't sound right in this context.

domangelo

United States English
    If you say, "Don't you travel a good deal?" You communicate that you believe that the person does, in fact, travel a lot.
    If you say, "Don't you travel much?" You communicate that you believe that the person does not travel a lot.

Now, having said that, I will try to figure out why this is so!

On the other hand, if you say, "Do you travel much?" or "Do you travel a good deal?" You are asking a neutral question, with no bias toward a 'yes' or a 'no' answer.

KHS

If you say, "Don't you travel a good deal?" You communicate that you believe that the person does, in fact, travel a lot.
    If you say, "Don't you travel much?" You communicate that you believe that the person does not travel a lot.

Now, having said that, I will try to figure out why this is so!
    I think the reason must be related to the fact that you can say (at least in my variety of AE):

I travel a lot/a great deal but not I travel much

but I can say I don't travel much

So maybe the negative is paired with MUCH, giving us:

It's true that you don't travel much, isn't it?
    (= Don't you travel much?)

but

Isn't it true that you travel a lot?
    (= Don't you travel a lot?)

Just a thought...although the more I read what I just said, the less sure I am...

Packard

USA, English
    I get home most evenings; owing a cat is no problem.

I frequently travel out of town; if I had someone reliable to feed a cat I would get one.

Cat ownership and frequent out of town travel are incompatible.

"Don't you travel quite a bit for work? That would make owning a cat very difficult."

"Not really. On the days I am out of town my neighbor stops in and feeds her."

< Previous | Next >