travel [brochure / booklet / pamphlet / journal]

< Previous | Next >

dingenc

Turkish
"Bill and Jean were looking at the travel ...... to decide where to go on holiday."
A)brochure B)booklet C)pamphlet D)journal

I think the answer is brochure but I am not sure since most of them virtually mean the same thing. Thanks in advance.

• wandle

English - British
    'Brochure' is the word used for a sales pamphlet.
    It implies something is being offered for sale, whereas none of the other words does so.

Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    In my opinion, Bill and Jean might have been looking at any one of the four. The question is unfair, because it doesn't ask which answer would complete a correct English sentence (any of them would); it asks you to read the mind of the questioner to see which he or she expects.

ewie

English English
    The question is unfair, because it doesn't ask which answer would complete a correct English sentence (any of them would); it asks you to read the mind of the questioner to see which he or she expects.
    Well, either that or it's asking the student to decide which is the most likely collocation in the context provided.
    Compare and contrast:

"Bill and Jean were looking at the travel ...... to decide where to go on holiday."

"Bill and Jean were perusing The New York Travel .... in search of Jenkins' article on the endangered bhungli of Bheking."

"Someone handed Bill a travel .... outside Woolworths. 'Latest Coach Tours from Wallace Arnold Ltd.', read the A4 gatefold flier."

etc.

< Previous | Next >