Travel with a submarine

Oppof1s

Italian
Hello! Can you tell me which of the following is correct?

I travel with a submarine
I travel by submarine
I travel in a submarine

Thank you for your comments!

• Oppof1s

Italian
    Here's the context:

One day, I went to the pacific ocean. I went there by submarine/ with a submarine/ in a submarine...

Thank you!

Chasint

English - England
    If you travel with a submarine, you swim across the oceans but, as a safety measure, a submarine follows you around.

If you travel by submarine then you are one of a select few who is allowed to book a place on a submarine, or perhaps you are very rich and have your own sub that can take you where you want to go.

If you travel in a submarine, then it is probably a large submarine and you need a bicycle to travel around inside it.

However, if you use "went", you can say:

One day, I went to the pacific ocean. I went there by submarine. (perhaps you hired the sub)
    One day, I went to the pacific ocean. I went there in a submarine. (perhaps you were a crew member of the sub)

One day, I went to the pacific ocean. I went there with a submarine. (perhaps you travelled on a large ship. Maybe the ship was carrying a miniature submarine for use when you arrived)

Linkway

British English
    Humour aside, "I travel with..." is normally followed by what you take with you - a toothbrush, three bodyguards, spare shirts, etc.

There is, however, a problem prepositions and things like travel companies.

We quite happily say "I bought my sofa at Ikea (or the Co-operative Furniture Store, etc).
    And: "I stayed at the Ibis Hotel in Toulouse".
    But it becomes tricky when we want to say that we went on vacation and the vacation was organized by XYZ - I paid XYZ and they made all the arrangements, flights, hotels, etc.

I flew to Thailand with [or on] EVA Air. :tick:
    I booked my vacation with Transco Holidays. :tick:
    I went on vacation ???preposition??? Transco Holidays. :confused::confused::confused:

< Previous | Next >