treachery of concealment

< Previous | Next >

Irelia20150604

Chinese
The quotation comes from Charlotte Brontë – Jane Eyre (Chap. 27) | Genius

Quotation: My father and my brother Rowland knew all this; but they thought only of the thirty thousand pounds, and joined in the plot against me.”

“These were vile discoveries; but except for the treachery of concealment, I should have made them no subject of reproach to my wife, even when I found her nature wholly alien to mine, her tastes obnoxious to me, her cast of mind common, low, narrow, and singularly incapable of being led to anything higher, expanded to anything larger...
===
Hi everyone! I have a question about the bold part.

WR tells me "treachery" means "violation of faith; betrayal of trust; treason". But I don;t know how it works here. I try to interpret it as below. Is it correct?

Mr. R trusted his father and brother, but they deceived him into the miserable marriage by concealing the truth that the woman was mad and fooling. It's a betrayal of trust. So Mr. R called it "treachery of concealment".

Last edited:
  • PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    Mr. R trusted his father and brother, but they deceived him into the miserable marriage by concealing the true that the woman was mad and fooling. It's a betrayal of trust. So Mr. R called it "treachery of concealment".
    :thumbsup:
    the treachery of concealment = the treachery they practiced on Mr R. by concealing the facts.

< Previous | Next >