Treading fire [from PC game pt. 4]

Luke19

Polish
Hi everyone,

I have a question regarding certain phrases. I’m not a native speaker so it’d be great if you can elaborate and explain some meanings to me J

I have to firstly give you a synopsis – I’m playing Pillars of Eternity, a recent PC game which is known also for its sophisticated vocabulary (archaic words, scientific terminology etc.). Of course most of terms and phrases can be found online or guessed from its context, however there are some which cannot be translated directly. Could you check the below sentences and advise what this particular phrases mean ?

Treading fire – treading as in spreading/’walking’ slowly? I heard of ‘treading water’ but I wonder what does treading fire means?

• Jimbob_Disco

British English
    I’d imagine it’s to do with a sense of precariousness - treading fire is a little dangerous, after all! :D

Without further context, it’s hard to say.

Edinburgher

German/English bilingual
    Are you sure it isn't "trading fire"? When two sides are shooting at each other with guns, they can be said to be trading fire.

Luke19

Polish
    I'm pretty sure it was 'treading fire'- I will update this thread once I find the script in the game quoting this phrase.

< Previous | Next >