treat

NickJunior

Khmer
Forum Members,

In this context, what does the word treat mean? "All well-behaving kids will get a treat." Does the word treat here mean something good to eat? Can the word "goody" be used instead of the word treat?

Last edited:
  • Hildy1

English - US and Canada
    A treat is something pleasant. It could very well be something good to eat.
    "All well-behaved kids" sounds better than "well-behaving".

dadane

English (London/Essex)
    They are not fully synonymous. A 'goody' would be a small gift in the form of a physical object, a 'treat' encompasses this but could mean something else pleasant, such as, a trip to somewhere nice. Where did you see this sentence?

NickJunior

Khmer
    Thank you Hildy1 and dadane. To dadane - I was at a park and overheard an adult speaking with a group of children. I thought the word "treat" was too general and so thought of the word "goody". Don't really know what it is though. Thanks to you, now I know the word goody means "a small gift". You mean a toy, right?
    However, the word "goody" is defined as food below.
    good·y1
    ˈgo͝odē/
    nouninformal

noun: goody; plural noun: goodies; noun: goodie

something attractive or desirable, esp. something tasty or pleasant to eat.

Last edited:

Hildy1

English - US and Canada
    I would usually understand "a goody" to mean something pleasant to eat, rather than a toy.

As dadane says, a treat could be something to eat, or it could be some other pleasant thing such as a trip, or an outing to a place of amusement.

NickJunior

Khmer
    I would usually understand "a goody" to mean something pleasant to eat, rather than a toy.
    As dadane says, a treat could be something to eat, or it could be some other pleasant thing such as a trip, or an outing to a place of amusement.
    This clears a lot of things for me. Thank you, Hildy1.
    trick or treat

1. go trick or treating - if children go trick or treating, they dress in costumes and go from house to house on Halloween saying 'trick or treat' in order to get sweets

2 the words that children say when they go trick or treating, to say that they will play a trick on someone if they are not given a treat (=sweet)

What is the word for a toy, if a toy is being offered for a child's good behavior?

Last edited:

AliBadass

persian
    What does ''treat'' mean here in this situation? In the cartoon Caillou, children have been taken to an apple orchard to pick apples. There they see a deer and their teacher (Miss Martin) tells them: ''Apples are a favorite treat for deer''.

Does ''treat'' mean a special food that tastes good especially one that you do not eat very often? Or something special that you give someone or do for them because you know they will enjoy it?

kentix

English - U.S.
    A treat in those kinds of contexts is something you enjoy a lot but can't have whenever you want. It's a special occasion to have it.

< Previous | Next >