... treated with contempt, foul Black Draught, and castor oil ....[Sentence structure?]

Oeslow

Pastu
I have two questions.
The first is about sentence structure. What category do parallel structure sentences fall into? Simple, compound, complex, compound-complex?
EXE: Our illness is treated with contempt, foul Black Draught, and castor oil that blunts our minds. (Toni Morrison)

If I expand the sentence by adding in the implied words, I believe it to be compound. But I am not positive.

<< Second question now has its own thread. >>

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • lucas-sp

English - Californian
    I have two questions.
    The first is about sentence structure. What category do parallel structure sentences fall into? Simple, compound, complex, compound-complex?
    EXE: Our illness is treated with contempt, foul Black Draught, and castor oil that blunts our minds. (Toni Morrison)

If I expand the sentence by adding in the implied words, I believe it to be compound. But I am not positive.
    We can only answer one question per thread, by the way.

First, does it really matter whether a sentence is compound or complex?

Second, the basic form we have here is a list:

Our illness is treated with X, Y, and Z.

That's a simple sentence. However, since Z contains a subordinate clause ("that blunts our minds"), the sentence is a complex one.

Hello Oeslow, and welcome to the forum!

Here are a couple examples of parallel sentence structure:

Ex: I like walking, but my husband prefers running.

Ex: Our illness is treated with contempt, foul Black Draught,... and our response is regarded with ridicule, cynicism,...

Here is a nice website that defines and gives more examples of parallel sentence structure: http://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/623/1

This website gives nice definitions and examples of simple, compound and complex sentence structure: http://www.eslbee.com/sentences.htm

Hope this helps!

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >