Trencher, bugger, shuffler... (tools)

Shmuel

Argentina, Spanish
Hi all,

No, I'm not insulting anyone.
I've consulted WR dico and Forum, and only the "bad" meaning of the word was given.
But I have come accross this word in a complete different meaning, some sort of excavation machine:
"...the digging methods are selected according to the approved plan and conditions on the ground. Trenchers, buggers, shufflers and other tools are utilized, "

Can somebody assist me in the Spanish names for these excaving machines (in bold in the example above).
TIA.

• Shmuel

Argentina, Spanish
    It is from a 6-page Marcom document from a Company who does extensive digging and excavations for underground FO network infrastructure. It is quite clear to me, (and I guess that to you as well), that Trenchers, Buggers, and Shufflers are specific names for specific digging jobs. And I'm seeking their Spanish translation.

sound shift

English - England
    Yes, I realise that. The trouble is that when I googled on "Marcom" + "bugger", all the results were about people and nothing to do with digging.

But I have found the answer! Obviously, someone has confused the German "Bagger" with the English "bugger". If you do an image search on "Bagger" with the language set to German, you will get lots of photos of diggers. My "Langenscheidt" dictionary gives "dredger" and "excavator" for the German "Bagger". I don't know which of the two words you should translate into Spanish ("dredger" = "draga"; "excavator" = "excavadora", according to the Collins Spanish Dictionary); reference to images or to the surrounding context may help you with the decision.

The vowels in "bugger" and "bagger" are quite similar; this could be the cause of the confusion here.

Por fin :).

Shmuel

Argentina, Spanish
    Thank you so much, Sound shift!
    I read your answer once finished already the translation, and ready to deliver it with the "original words". For Trencher I found Zanjadora, but for the other 2, I did not.
    I just made a Google Translate search from German Bagger to English, and the only word given is "Excavator".
    Thank you very much, again!
    Shmuel

sound shift

English - England
    ¡No hay de qué!

I have thought about this some more, and I think I know what happened.

El alemán "Bagger" puede tener una conotación sexual, la misma que tiene el inglés "bugger". Al parecer, alguien se imaginó la existencia de una correspondencia al 100% entre el alemán "Bagger" y el inglés "bugger". Este "alguien" no sabía que "bugger" no es un término de ingeniería civil en el inglés, mientras "Bagger" sí hace parte del vocabulario de la ingeniería civil en alemán. ¡Otra vez "Lost in translation"! :D

Shmuel

Argentina, Spanish
    Sí, sound shift,algo por el estilo debe haber sucedido, o peor: la persona que lo escribió, escuchó la palabra Bagger y simplemente la escribió en Inglés, a su mejor entender. Y todo eso acá, donde nuestro idioma diario es el... Hebreo.
    Nuevamente Gracias! por el trabajo que te tomaste, y por la ayuda!!
    Shmuel

< Previous | Next >